What are your favorite or recommended wsm modifications?

I cut the slot for my wires first thing.
Then my gasket at the door and the top of the center section. I have the cyber q atc that I love also.

So here is a list of mods I am thinking of doing
  1. Wheels to be able to move my smoker around easier
  2. Hinge for the lid
  3. Bottle opener
  4. Putting a bolt in the bottom vents so I can move them without burning my fingers
  5. Putting turn locks on the bottom section so I can move the smoker around by tipping it and holding the handle
  6. Replacing the handle with a wood one
  7. Handles on the middle section
  8. Removable work table
Are there any that aren't listed that you think I should include? What mods have you done? Any you wish you wouldn't have done or would do differently. Im interested to hear what everyones thoughts are.
Garage door handles on the middle section are really handy imo.

I did a lot of the above mods mentioned and found that the only one that has been the most useful was the slot mod for probe wires. Hinge is expensive and the handles weren’t that useful except for keeping me from using the stock cover.

A3FB12F8-082D-4C0B-9E48-6B202AF55E66.jpegWith that said though for me one that hasn’t been mentioned and the one I find very useful is adding an additional (or 2) lid vents for achieving higher heat cooks. Back in the day I did this so I could use the WSMs as an oven for sides when cooking for large groups. More recently I have found I prefer HH brisket over low and slow and with the additional daisy wheel vents achieving a steady 375° is no problem with the additional air flow.

I converted my 14" WSM to propane using the burner from a Brinkman table top grill. Works like a charm. No muss, no fuss. Pulled pork at 1 hour per pound. I have pics I can share if anyone wants to see them. It's a shame Brinkman bit the dust. Glad I bought 3 of the grills. I can make two more {Rev B and Rev C?). Latches for the bowl/tube/lid to make it truly portable. I have a prototype cover that locked the pieces together (used to work for Weber (26 years)). Showed the R&D management what I had done. Not interested. (Not invented here, you work for IT not R&D, you are not an engineer, and we didn't think of it first). Screw them. How's that SmokeFire POS working out for you? (Sorry for the mini rant)

Next project is a propane powered 22" WSM on a Performer cart and using the Masterbuilt Thermotemp Propane Smoker's control valve.
Should be fun.

I have added handles on the shell, a slot for probe wires, and the Piedmont Pan mod to eliminate using water (I consider elimination of water as a must if you add handles; I would not recommend lifting the center section with a pan full of boiling water). I am seriously considering wheels, especially since I keep a cover on the WSM when it's not in use, and moving it with the cover on is a chore.

I converted my 14" WSM to propane using the burner from a Brinkman table top grill. Works like a charm. No muss, no fuss. Pulled pork at 1 hour per pound. I have pics I can share if anyone wants to see them. It's a shame Brinkman bit the dust. Glad I bought 3 of the grills. I can make two more {Rev B and Rev C?). Latches for the bowl/tube/lid to make it truly portable. I have a prototype cover that locked the pieces together (used to work for Weber (26 years)). Showed the R&D management what I had done. Not interested. (Not invented here, you work for IT not R&D, you are not an engineer, and we didn't think of it first). Screw them. How's that SmokeFire POS working out for you? (Sorry for the mini rant)

Next project is a propane powered 22" WSM on a Performer cart and using the Masterbuilt Thermotemp Propane Smoker's control valve.
Should be fun.
First message in six years?
You have more will power than a cat. Because you know, if cats could talk, they wouldn't.

On my 22 I have:
1. Wheels. So much easier to roll it around the deck
2. toggle locks to keep the middle and bottom attached. See #1
3. Hinge. No place to set that big lid on the deck
4. Slot for probes
5. Heatermeter and adapt-a-dampener. Best upgrade.

Back