What are you smoking this weekend? August 2020

Brisket Friday night going into Saturday. Came out great; more leftovers tonight. Funny thing about night prep is that by the time you realize you're short on something necessary (like peppercorns) it's too late at night to go get some (like 9:00 pm). Not a problem in the end for this one but I have been trying to use a reminder app to restock the various spices as I use them up. I used to be more organized and run the list of spices the day before or something. Getting lazy I guess.

So we just got done with dinner and the local pork shoulder (due to rain on Saturday going into Sunday it got pushed to last night into today) and it the most tender, moist, and flavorful pork shoulder I have ever cooked. I cooked it at 250 and it took 13 hours. When I went to pull it I was blown away at the huge chunks of meat just coming right off that thing. There was so little fat or waste. It was a weird cut as the bone was like the two bones of the shoulder joint, but it was shaped like and tasted much more like a Boston butt then a picnic shoulder. I will be making another special order this weekend as unless you special order he just turns all of that meat into sausage. No pictures this time, will make sure to change that next time.

Going to do a couple of pork shoulders. Put some in Seal a meal bags and take with us on vacation next week.

Last edited:

Back