What are the Pro's of Lump Coal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lump charcoal does not put out the "bad smell" during lighting that briquettes do.

Lump charcoal leaves behind less ash than charcoal. This is a benefit for cookers that don't have ample space to collect ashes without smother the fire (not an issue with the WSM).

Some people with very sensitive palates claim that lump does not impart an "off flavor" to meat the way a briquette product like Kingsford can. If you're one of these people, then lump is for you. However, most people can't taste the difference, and blind judging in competitions does not seem to show any difference, since many briquette users win frequently.

Just a few pros that come to mind. You didn't ask for cons, so I won't offer any. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris, thank you for the pro's on the lump coal. I have heard about some of the con's but, please feel free to share the con's. I am a Kingsford fan and have considered the use of lump. Do you still need to add the flavor woods like you do with Kingsford?

Skip, add the smoke wood. I am a Kingsford man all the way as well. Some of the cons I have read about on this sight are that the lump doesn't seem to burn as long during longer cook times(14-16hrs). Also, lump can be quite expensive depending on what you get. If I am remembering right, lump doesn't have as consistewnt of a burn temp as Kingsford does.

Not huge differences by any means but I can get Kingsford anywhere for a good price and it always works as advertised.

And that "bad smell" that Chris was talking about when briquettes are lit...that smells AWESOME to me, but, that's what I grew up around as a kid!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skip,
I'm kind of a rookie. Most of my smokes have been short (7 hours for ribs) with one overnighter. I've used lump (Royal Oak) and Kingsford and not really noticed any difference. I think the folks who notice a difference are people who pay close attention to subtle things. They notice the subtle smell of briquettes and that lump burns somewhat hotter. I’ve noticed none of that. Point being – buy some lump and try it. If you don’t notice a difference then I think it pretty much comes down to what is available in your area and how much you want to spend. Generally, Kingsford is one of those things that you just can’t go wrong with. You can usually find it, at a good price, and it burns a long time.

To answer one of your questions – yes, you still need smoke wood with lump. Maybe a little less, but unless you like just a very little smoke flavor, you will need some.

I've got to agree with Jerry here. I've also used the Royal Oak brand lump (not a bad deal @ $9 for 20#). I din't have any problems controlling temps or running out of fuel or any of the other issues usually associated with lump. I've run 14 hours on one load with plenty to spare. It does cost more than Kingsford per pound but I find you use less pound for pound then briquettes. To me its pretty much a wash. Kingsford a lot easier to find than lump, but I keep plenty of both on hand and use them interchangably depending on my mood. But thats just my 2 cents.

That seems like a great price on the Royal Oak Lump......I can't seem to find it where I live....I have used "Real Flavor" (Wal-Mart) Lump which is made by royal oak. I personally can't seem to notice a big difference between Lump and Briquettes...(The slight edge does goes to Lump)...

I have yet to use Lump in my WSM....what is everyone doing if using lump?....100% Lump? 50/50 with charcoal?

Skip,

I am a kingsford user, almost exclusivly. I will admit that lump coal does have a slightly better aroma while burning.

From my experiences I find that lump is better suited for poultry cooks. I use lump with a dry pan and get the higher temps/shorter duration I prefer for cooking chicken thighs.

I've not been able to get the long burns some claim to be getting with lump. Might be due to the brands I've tried, (Royak Oak and Realflavor from Wally World.)

I can modify my grate to keep the smaller pieces of lump from falling through, but that still doesn't change the fact that it is inconsistant in size and heat output.

I would like to try some of the extruded lump, but it is not available in my area (that I'm aware of) and I am too cheap to pay shipping!LOL

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back