What an 18" kettle can do

Ron De Hoogh

TVWBB Pro
Quite a lot actually! On the other site used to be a Gentleman that loved to push the limits of what an 18" kettle could do, I copied him on how he set his kettle up and did a cook that proves that his method works well enough even for me. He also likes to use multiple kettles at one time to cook a whole meal, it takes good planning to make it work!
The upper grate is a SJ grate with carriage bolts to hold it up, you can't go to high and you need to center the grate so the lid can close properly.
The set up.
fZU8kShl.jpg

Baked potato's in the basement.
zln5Am1l.jpg

Then everything else!
FwS5zaYl.jpg

I like your mezzanine! I have the smaller balcony for the 22 but, with the extra studs on my roti ring, I have two full size grates plus the balcony, it takes a little creative thinking when setting it up but, you can get a whale of a lot in these things if you think it through!

I like your mezzanine! I have the smaller balcony for the 22 but, with the extra studs on my roti ring, I have two full size grates plus the balcony, it takes a little creative thinking when setting it up but, you can get a whale of a lot in these things if you think it through!
No doubt creative thinking is important.

Great idea but how secure is it? It doesn’t look like it is attached to the 18” grate. Does it just rest on the bolt heads?

Back