What am I doing wrong - charcoal seems to smoulder out all the time?

JoeinVA

So I am still what I could classify as "new to Charcoal" as I have working with a Kettle Premium for about a year now, and had spent all time before that on propane.

I thought I was getting the hang of this, but I am really having some inconsistent results. I have used briquets, lump, and a combo of both all with similar results.

I start with a full chimney and let it get to where there is fire coming from the top. I dump into a pile on one side of the grill and use a tool to spread it slightly, but keep it in a good sized bundle on one side (i have tried spreading out but that just buns out even faster\worse). Put the grill grate in and let it burn with the lid off for 10 - 15 min to any remaining pieces that arent lit yet can do do.

This creates a good fire, and after that I will place the lid on and let that site for 5 min or so.

Now, no matter what I do with the vents, leave top and bottom completely open, close the top slightly, whatever, I end up with a smoulder out pile of charcoal and no visible embers.

Its still "hot" but my steaks burgers or chicken seem to more "bake" rather than grill. I will usually get 0 smoke from the food cooking, and nothing seems to come out any different then if it were in my oven.

There are times mind you, I end up with fantastic results, a nice glow from the charcoal and a good sizzle when meat is placed down and smoke from the grill while the lid is on.

So my question, what I am possibly doing wrong? Is the premium causing a lack of air flow due to the stainless steel "catcher"? I typically cook on my patio which has a roof over it, and there is a vinyl wall about 5 ft high just to one side to block major gusts from that side of the home, but all other sides are wide open.

stupid question, but you’re using the charcoal grate? I only ask because a friend was having trouble keeping his fire going in his WSM and after several conversations I found out he was not using the charcoal grate.

Fair enough, but yes i am :)

I am also pretty anal about after each use the next day getting the old ash out, to the point of using an old clean paint brush to get remaining ash that the weber cleaning arms doesn't get.

Sometimes to me it seems like the coals should be more red than they look......
But I believe they are pretty hot, going out of course is a different story.
Last night I made chicken tender tacos.
Made a hot fire threw them in the weber baskets in the middle of the grill.
Left the vents both wide open and let it heat up.....took a peak at the lid thermometer about 15 minutes later and it was only reading 275 or so.
Seems a bit low, take off the lid have a peek and they are mildly glowing.
Leave the lid off as that is how I was going to do the cook anyways and in a few minutes the coals were glowing pretty hot.
Similar to what it sounds like in your scenario but only seen this a couple of times.
I don't know what to think of it, it was chilly last night with minimal wind.
The ash catcher was recently cleaned out and I had the kettle fairly tidy and ready to go too...
The only thing I can come up with is it being something to do with the fuel being used.
I have a bag of fogo I am using and it is obviously open, but I have had it open for maybe 3 weeks now. The weather has been very wet, but the charcoal stays in the garage. The humidity and overall just things feels wet so that is what I have to believe.
I want to believe that isn't a thing but it very well could be, pellets also can fall to this issue.
I don't have any other things to blame it on.

The only time I have had that happen was using used coal that had sat in my “coals bucket” for quite some time.
I have no clue what might have happened in your situation but, I pretty much always go fully loaded chimney wait until everything is going full on then lay out the coals in the baskets, I’ve not done a full bare bottom coal grate in years.
I am pretty frugal with charcoal so, most of the time I use fresh coals on the bottom 1/3-1/2 and top it off with leftovers.
Full to overflowing then, when it burns it’s just about perfect.

I guess my only thing I could add would be that I use the Kingsford storage caddy and it does stay outside. There is never any moisture in the container, but I wonder if it being outside could be an issue?

I go thru charcoal pretty quickly so it never sits out there longer than a week or so at a time as I cycle thru fast enough

I think you should keep to one type of fuel until you get a feel for how it cooks. After you get comfortable with that, then try something else. You'll get more consistent results with briquettes.
It's possible that you are waiting too long before putting your food on also. Once the top coals just start to gray, dump em, get your grate on, wait a few minutes to clean it, put your food on & then close the lid. No need to "pre-heat" the grill. By that point, all the coals should be almost gray.
If you're looking for additional smoke flavor, add a small amount of wood to the coals right before putting the grate on.
I never cook chicken directly over the coals. You've got the right idea banking your coals to one side. I usually put a piece of aluminum foil on the coal grate next to the coals & put chicken over that. This also forces airflow through the coals to keep em going.
Good luck!

Maybe I need to let it sit in the chimney longer. I usually wait to see flames and the smoke is more or less gone, but I will try letting it burn a little longer next time around.

My kingsford caddy sits out year round, no issues. Give the chimney five more minutes and see if that helps.
What are you using as an ignition source? I’ve been using a full size Kraft paper grocery bag with very good results.

Wet marinades will douse out the coals pretty quick. If you're using them then pat dry your protein before placing on the grill.
5 mins with the lid closed might have something to do with this. I only use the lid for flame ups or cooking indirect.

Its still "hot" but my steaks burgers or chicken seem to more "bake" rather than grill. I will usually get 0 smoke from the food cooking, and nothing seems to come out any different then if it were in my oven.
I don't understand the problem. Use some wood chunks for smoke? Are you monitoring grate temperature with a probe or oven thermometer?

So I am still what I could classify as "new to Charcoal" as I have working with a Kettle Premium for about a year now, and had spent all time before that on propane.

I thought I was getting the hang of this, but I am really having some inconsistent results. I have used briquets, lump, and a combo of both all with similar results.

I start with a full chimney and let it get to where there is fire coming from the top. I dump into a pile on one side of the grill and use a tool to spread it slightly, but keep it in a good sized bundle on one side (i have tried spreading out but that just buns out even faster\worse). Put the grill grate in and let it burn with the lid off for 10 - 15 min to any remaining pieces that arent lit yet can do do.

This creates a good fire, and after that I will place the lid on and let that site for 5 min or so.

Now, no matter what I do with the vents, leave top and bottom completely open, close the top slightly, whatever, I end up with a smoulder out pile of charcoal and no visible embers.

There are times mind you, I end up with fantastic results, a nice glow from the charcoal and a good sizzle when meat is placed down and smoke from the grill while the lid is on.

So my question, what I am possibly doing wrong? Is the premium causing a lack of air flow due to the stainless steel "catcher"? I typically cook on my patio which has a roof over it, and there is a vinyl wall about 5 ft high just to one side to block major gusts from that side of the home, but all other sides are wide open.
Someone has already suggested that you need to dump coals, then get your meat on right away - I agree with that, especially if you're looking for a good sear. Also, if you can get the top of your charcoal bed closer to the cooking grate, that'll really help. The most popular ways to do that with a weber kettle are to use a Slow n' Sear, or a Vortex. I've used both, and I prefer the vortex, but I also recommend getting a stainless steel great to go with the vortex because the standard Weber grates are plated steel and won't take the higher heat that the Vortex kicks out.

Also, I recommend searing the meat with the lid open. I only close the lid when I'm cooking meat on the indirect side. Closing and opening the lid with meat over the coals (even with the vents open) can create an unstable fire, and also tends to cook your steak "thru" rather than creating a crusty outside and juicy inside.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Aluminum foil for the win!! My buddy had a similar issue with his 26er - I told him to cover 1/2 his charcoal grate with aluminum foil - this forces the raising air through the coals. Whatever configuration I run ( Vortex, SNS, split baskets) I always cover the unused portion of the charcoal grate. Makes cleanup easier too, get the thicker HD foil - it lasts longer.

Aluminum foil for the win!! My buddy had a similar issue with his 26er - I told him to cover 1/2 his charcoal grate with aluminum foil - this forces the raising air through the coals. Whatever configuration I run ( Vortex, SNS, split baskets) I always cover the unused portion of the charcoal grate. Makes cleanup easier too, get the thicker HD foil - it lasts longer.
I like it, a very easy thing to try!

Also if you feel like it do a video, upload to YouTube, and link it here. It should help if your still having the problem after the foil trick.

The video or even photos will help. I have never had this issue so can’t imagine what’s happening without seeing it.

If I'm reading your concern right, I think the charcoal is burning properly.

When charcoal is fully lit and burning properly, there's no flame and there should be very little smoke. The way charcoal's made cooks out all (or most of) the volatiles in wood, which leaves an energy dense and steady burning fuel. If you're doing indirect cooking, it absolutely should be a lot like baking or roasting. If you want more smoke or more flavor, use wood or cook over the coals. That could either be direct grilling, or searing at the beginning or the end, or if you're doing something like bbq chicken you could take any small trimmed scraps and throw them on the charcoal and get some of that sizzled flavor.

Back