Well, i bought it.

Well Weber peeps, I couldn't wait to start the disassembly, it definitely is a different animal than I'm use to working on.View attachment 91292View attachment 91293
That Platinum shares some of the frame components from the first-generation Summit of that same time period. It was an interesting way to make a higher end Genesis with parts already in the bin.

My Summit under construction. You can see the share parts. On the Summit they chose to go with round horizontal tube framing:

IMG_0265.JPEG

My frame is getting ready for the sandblaster, I changed out 6 plastic 1/4inch washers with metal ones so the powdercoating doesn't melt them.1000006931.jpg

Blasting is one guy, powdercoating is another guy.
Not sure yet on the blasting, I got small parts to him now, that will be one cost.
The frame will be another time and cost.
The two long metal pieces that cover the cookbox are get blasted by another guy.
That metal is very thin, the sandblasting might worpit, having it blasted by tinny plastic balls.
The guy could blast tin foil if need be.1000006945.jpg

Last edited:
The metal panels should be fine but depending on what kind of media they use, they might wind up a little rough.

My frame is getting ready for the sandblaster, I changed out 6 plastic 1/4inch washers with metal ones so the powdercoating doesn't melt them.View attachment 91505
I would think it would be better to take the frame apart as much as possible so that all the mating surfaces get blasted and powder coated evenly? Or maybe it doesn't matter? I never had a frame done, just cook box and end caps.

I would think it would be better to take the frame apart as much as possible so that all the mating surfaces get blasted and powder coated evenly? Or maybe it doesn't matter? I never had a frame done, just cook box and end caps.
Same train of thought here. I have a frame out for powder coat right now and I disassembled it as much as possible. I can’t imagine doing one whole but I would guess the cost to be a good bit cheaper by going that route. I’m curious to hear more details.

Back