Welcome to my outdoor kitchen!

Fraser

Hi folks! Grab a bevy & pull up a seat!
Hello from Garland, TX. I’m just a backyarder, (fairly) new cook and former-engineer. Santa brought a shiny MasterTouch 22” and I’m eager to learn it! I’ve done a bit of grilling on a SmokeyJoe, including some ‘Tandoori-can’ chicken, my take on beer can.
But now I’m eager to learn on a ‘real’ kettle!

Not long ago I struggled to boil water. Got all my cooking prowess from my folks (my dad of vulcanized shrimp fame and ma [smoke alarm blaring] “Dinner’s ready” fame). In college I made chili once. No one was (seriously) injured.
My journey in cooking began when my beloved had back surgeries and had difficulty standing in the kitchen for any length of time. Then our indoor cooktop died right in the middle of Covid supply chain; 6-month replacement. So, I took most of the cooking outdoors.
I rarely follow any recipes (much to the chagrin of aforementioned beloved), choosing instead to ‘make it my way’. Ok, so occasionally we order out for pizza😂.
As Indiana Jones says, “I'm making it up as I go”, and I make plenty of mistakes. I’m hoping all you chefs can be my teachers!

My arsenal includes: Recteq RT-680, Coyote gasser, Blackstone griddle, SmokeyJoe, a homemade drum smoker and lately, the MasterTouch.
-Fraser

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 34
Hello from Garland, TX. I’m just a backyarder, (fairly) new cook and former-engineer. Santa brought a shiny MasterTouch 22” and I’m eager to learn it! I’ve done a bit of grilling on a SmokeyJoe, including some ‘Tandoori-can’ chicken, my take on beer can.

Not long ago I struggled to boil water. Got all my cooking prowess from my folks (my dad of vulcanized shrimp fame and ma [smoke alarm blaring] “Dinner’s ready” fame). In college I made chili once. No one was (seriously) injured.
My journey in cooking began when my beloved had back surgeries and had difficulty standing in the kitchen for any length of time. Then our indoor cooktop died right in the middle of Covid supply chain; 6-month replacement. So, I took most of the cooking outdoors.
I rarely follow any recipes (much to the chagrin of aforementioned beloved), choosing instead to ‘make it my way’. Ok, so occasionally we order out for pizza😂.
As Indiana Jones says, “I'm making it up as I go”, and I make plenty of mistakes. I’m hoping all you chefs can be my teachers!

My arsenal includes: Recteq RT-680, Coyote gasser, Blackstone griddle, SmokeyJoe, a homemade drum smoker and lately, the MasterTouch.
-Fraser
Welcome, Fraser! Love the Smokey Joe/Planter setup! :)

Rich

Hi Fraser, WELCOME!!!!!!!

I have no idea what you said. lol I don't know one grill from another. I just stick to recipes and let DH buy and do the grilling! So, just tell me what you want to cook and maybe I can help!

-Fraser
Welcome Fraser!

Sounds like you're well equipped. All you need now is a bit of guidance, and you've come to the right place for that. I've been an avid outdoor cook for 40+ years and have still learned a lot since joining this site about 2 1/2 years ago. Lots of knowledgeable folks here who are ready and willing to answer any question you may have and offer guidance too. You picked the best spot there is for grilling enthusiasts.

-Fraser
those who "wing it" usually come up with the best recipes and shortcuts. there's something to be said for inventing ones way through the process. looking forward to seeing what you're doing versus just replicating the same old stuff.

welcome!

Thanks!
I was cleaning out garage stuff and found a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid! So I’m using it for its intended purpose: cleaning the labels off spice bottles. Now, on to Lesson#2…..
Wise use!
You’re in a good spot to learn a lot of tricks!

I love pictures can you show us some more?
I plan on building an outdoor cooking area in the next two years and am looking for good ideas.

We occasionally have people leave or gift me lighter fluid or those quick start briquettes.
We use them for our burn piles (y).

Sure, but it’s nothing much. We had a pad poured years and one travel trailer ago, used to keep it plugged into 30A. It’s a bit awkward size & shape but became Patio#2.
Starting at one end, I’ve got a homemade drum smoker and my prep table (a HD workbench topped with a concrete tabletop I poured) with a rolling cabinet that just fits nicely underneath.
IMG_1354.jpeg
In the corner is my OG Rectec RT680 (shown here with GMG pizza attachment).
IMG_0005.jpeg
and then the Coyote S36 with side burner & rotis.
IMG_0581.jpeg
Next to that we have a small Blackstone flattop.
IMG_1156.jpeg
Then my latest: Santa left a MasterTouch 22”. That’s a garden box for accessories & covers when in use, and my ash bucket which DW made me hide inside a planter.
IMG_0103.jpeg
And First Use!
IMG_0248.jpeg

I thought about building a built-in with countertops to house everything but decided I liked the flexibility to move stuff around as needed and add things. I’ll leave you with a pic or two demonstrating:
1708285273827.jpeg
Once or twice a year I need more space!

Maybe someday I’ll cover it but that gets tricky in Texas winds. It serves our needs the way it is.
-Fraser

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
We made the flower pot smoker while doing a houseboat vacation at Shasta Lake. It worked surprisingly well

Thanks!
I was cleaning out garage stuff and found a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid! So I’m using it for its intended purpose: cleaning the labels off spice bottles. Now, on to Lesson#2…..
Welcome Fraser! Loved your introduction.

Have you even cooked on that Blackstone yet?
It looks like it hasn't been heated up before.......

Last edited:
Well spotted! Yes, that was an ‘install’ pic (just before four or five seasoning runs), doesn’t look like that now. Gets used for wife’s fav: smash burgers. Here’s a crunchwrap I did recently
IMG_1295.jpeg
Oddly, haven’t used it for breakfast burritos yet, what I thought would be its primary task. It does a mean fajita tho.

Back