Welcome home pizza!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My oldest made her way home from school yesterday, and she had requested pizza for dinner. So, the day before, I made up a four-pizza sized batch of my usual dough, proofed and balled it up, then tossed into the fridge. I fired up the Kettle Pizza about an hour before I wanted to cook pies, and this time, I put about 10 lit coals on top of the top steel to see if I could get a better pre-heat. When it was pizza time, I set up my pizza station:

IMG_6747.jpeg

The small wood split I tossed on the coals got the thermometers up to about 700F, and the first pizza went on. It cooked in about four minutes, but still needed about 60 seconds of "doming" to get the top done. The remaining pies were about the same, so I may need to drop more lit coals on the steel during pre-heat next time. Anyway, here are the pies.......

Pepperoni, homemade Kielbasa, mushrooms:

IMG_6748.jpeg

....not every pie makes it off the peel successfully:

IMG_6749.jpeg

....and, pies 3 & 4:

IMG_6750.jpeg

IMG_6751.jpeg

As each pie came off the KP, my youngest was the pizza runner, depositing them into the 170F oven to hold until I was done with all of them. The five of us polished off these four pies without blinking, and everyone was happy. Good to have the whole family home for a bit!

Hope y'all are having a great weekend.......I'll be back with a Canadian Bacon report later. :)

R

Pizza's look wonderful Rich. I like that slight leoparding you got on the top of the pies. I think I'll try your idea of briquettes on the steel.

Ok, so those pies look awesome!! However, I got hung up on something...HOMEMADE Kielbasa?!?!? THAT’S something I need to learn to make!!!

Ok, so those pies look awesome!! However, I got hung up on something...HOMEMADE Kielbasa?!?!? THAT’S something I need to learn to make!!!
Like so many things, Dan, making sausage is easy......and difficult at times. If you've never made sausage, start with making bulk, non-cased sausage (breakfast, italian, etc.) to get the hang of the ingredients, mixing techniques, etc. Stuffing casings is not hard, but it means learning more technique (and, probably acquiring some equipment.)

You can get started with bulk sausage by just buying ground pork from the store (I'd probably ask the meat guy if he could get you some back fat to add in case it needs it......or, if you have a store with a good meat market, but a pork butt from them, and have them grind it for you.....PB is typically already a good ratio of lean to fat for sausage (assuming it hasn't been aggressively trimmed.)

Happy to share recipes with you if you're interested. This particular kielbasa recipe is a twist on a formula from Len Poli's sausage site.

Glad you guys/gals all liked the pizzas! We did, too! :)

R

Back