Weight Loss Journey

Kemper, another question as you have inspired quite a few with your will power, determination and success. Obviously you are a dedicated "smoker" (the good kind with a WSM) and long time tvwbb member. How has smoking fit into the process? You mentioned smoked vegetables, but do you smoke a lot of chicken or other lean meats? Is there an occasional butt, brisket, ribs, etc.?

Thanks
Meals that I actually eat are chicken, turkey, fish, & an occasional hamburger steak. I cook ribs, briskets, & ribs for my friends. I eat a bite here & there but no big plates for myself. But I can't resist a good rib or pulled pork slider. Everything in moderation. I have a passion for cooking & have to be careful about what I'm cooking. I have a Catering Business & most of the BBQ I cook goes for clients so I don't get to eat anything. Sometimes that is tough. Lol

Congrats Kemper, Atta Boy!!! Quite frankly I don't know how you lose any weight, your cooks are amazing :)

Way to go Kemper - quite an accomplishment!

Also - good to hear that you allow yourself "treats" in moderation. So many people think, "Well, I can't have *this* anymore" - whatever "this" is for them. Unfortunately complete denial often leads to binging. You crave it so much that you just don't care anymore, then overstuff yourself on what you denied yourself.

It's much more sustainable to allow yourself those treats in moderation, so you don't feel completely denied.

Also, I really don't think things like the BBQ discussed on this forum are as unhealthy as once believed. Recent research is showing more than more than saturated fat isn't as unhealthy as once thought. So, I really don't think it's so bad to have brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc. Just keep the portions in check.

To keep things very simple, for starters:

Less of these:
Fast food
Junk food (cookies, cake, candy, etc.)
Fried food
Sodas
Breads & pasta for carbs

More of these:
Water
Vegetables
Quality meats
Fruits
Potatoes & rice for carbs

I think that is a good place to start for just about anyone. And for the "Less of these" part; again, complete denial isn't necessary, just keep them less than 10% or so of your total intake.

Also, getting in the habit of some form of exercise will make a big difference. Resistance training is very good if you're cleared for it, as is mobility work.

Heck, try the simple act of getting down on the ground/floor, and get yourself back up to your feet. Do it in a way that you can do it on your right side, then your left side, to keep things even. Now, do that five times on each side. That in an of itself can be a workout for many people. Not to mention the benefits of that sort of activity as we all get older. Check this:

With that, I'll apologize for the long post, and end with another kudos to you Kemper, as well as the others here who are taking control of their weight and health.

Thanks,
Jason

Way to go Kemper - quite an accomplishment!

Also - good to hear that you allow yourself "treats" in moderation. So many people think, "Well, I can't have *this* anymore" - whatever "this" is for them. Unfortunately complete denial often leads to binging. You crave it so much that you just don't care anymore, then overstuff yourself on what you denied yourself.

It's much more sustainable to allow yourself those treats in moderation, so you don't feel completely denied.

Also, I really don't think things like the BBQ discussed on this forum are as unhealthy as once believed. Recent research is showing more than more than saturated fat isn't as unhealthy as once thought. So, I really don't think it's so bad to have brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc. Just keep the portions in check.

To keep things very simple, for starters:

Less of these:
Fast food
Junk food (cookies, cake, candy, etc.)
Fried food
Sodas
Breads & pasta for carbs

More of these:
Water
Vegetables
Quality meats
Fruits
Potatoes & rice for carbs

I think that is a good place to start for just about anyone. And for the "Less of these" part; again, complete denial isn't necessary, just keep them less than 10% or so of your total intake.

Also, getting in the habit of some form of exercise will make a big difference. Resistance training is very good if you're cleared for it, as is mobility work.

Heck, try the simple act of getting down on the ground/floor, and get yourself back up to your feet. Do it in a way that you can do it on your right side, then your left side, to keep things even. Now, do that five times on each side. That in an of itself can be a workout for many people. Not to mention the benefits of that sort of activity as we all get older. Check this:

With that, I'll apologize for the long post, and end with another kudos to you Kemper, as well as the others here who are taking control of their weight and health.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason that is excellent advice. Resistamce training has helped me a lot. I dont totally deny myself some of the good stuff but sometimes a bite or two will suffice. I have sugar free cookies, jello,ice cream,etc. and occasionally I reward myself with a small plate of BBQ. It's a daily struggle but I'm being rewarded for sensible choices. Hopefully I've added a few years to my life. I havent been Scuba Diving in 25 years because I got too fat to go. In September I'm going to Belize, Roatan Honduras, & Cozumel to go diving. Really looking forward to doing that.

Kemper, awesome dedication and determination! Just look at the results you have to show for it though! Sure you will reach your goal you have set, with a great dive trip adventure as a reward! Congratulations!

Jason that is excellent advice. Resistamce training has helped me a lot. I dont totally deny myself some of the good stuff but sometimes a bite or two will suffice. I have sugar free cookies, jello,ice cream,etc. and occasionally I reward myself with a small plate of BBQ. It's a daily struggle but I'm being rewarded for sensible choices. Hopefully I've added a few years to my life. I havent been Scuba Diving in 25 years because I got too fat to go. In September I'm going to Belize, Roatan Honduras, & Cozumel to go diving. Really looking forward to doing that.

Not just have you added years to your life but you have added "Good" years to your life. I know first hand how significant weight loss will improve almost every aspect of your life. All little things that health people take for granted that heavy people struggle with. I remember how happy I was the first time in years I was able to bend over and tie my shoes or the first time I could purchase my clothes at a store other the big and tall places. And as for the Premier Protein drinks, for the past year or so I start my day with one blended with a banana and a yogurt. Total of 42 grams of protein and tastes good too. I get them at Sam's Club.

Congratulations Kemper, that is a fantastic transformation! As a former super heavyweight myself, losing the weight opens up a whole new world of activities! Keep up your excellent work!

Congrats Kemper keep it up!

my wife and I have both lost over 70 lbs from changing our diet and exercise. We eat almost entirely off the Weber grills and it makes it so much easier and tasty!

get yourself a grill basket and a grill tray, add a little bit of olive oil and some spices on your veggies, some lean meats and your good to go!

Holy cow. I have noticed a lot of people look older when they lose weight like that. Not you though you look 10 years younger. Great work. Keep it up.

Congratulations Kemper! I've seen the great cooks you put out. Whether it's the exercise or portion control, good for you!

Back