Weekend success with overnight cooking

Joey K

TVWBB Member
Hey guys just thought I'd share my weekend cook story for you all (sorry no pics on this one my digital camera is broken).

So I'm not really sure if you call this an overnight cook or not because I woke up at 2:00 AM to get things going. Before going to bed I got the smoker ready, poured in a bunch of K briquettes and about 5 chunks of apple wood, foiled the water pan and placed in the WSM. Rubbed two 7.5+ lbs butts and wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the fridge. Put 15 briquetts in my chimney and put the paper towels in the bottom. Then hit the hay!

2:00 AM the alarm goes of and I go down stairs put lighter to the papertowel in several places and head back inside to get the butts out of the fridge. After stumbling around the kitchen for 15 minutes (re-applying some rub, trying to get the sand out of my eyes). Head back out fill up the water pan (I know I know, but I'm still too noobish to go water free), put the butts on - one on bottom one on top (gotta save room for a chicken later
icon_smile.gif
). 2:25 poured lit briquetts over coals/wood and assemble the WSM.

Back inside for a few, catch the last half of a Ice Road Trucker re-run. At 2:45 check on WSM dome temp 225*, closed the bottom 3 vents to about 30% and decide I'm going back to bed. When alarm goes off again at 6:30 (for my morning run not to check the WSM) I glance at the temp gauge 250 spot on.

I go for my run, take the kids and wife to the parade, go to Costco to pick up chickens ($.99/lb score!!). At 2:00 finaly get home to rub the chicken and put it in the smoker. At 2:15 dome temp still reading 250* put chicken on, fill up water pan, and head out to wifes parents house to pick up some shade awnings. Back at 5:00 PM dome temp still at 250*. Pull butts from WSM and wrap tightly with foil and put in cooler.

5:30 guests arriving now, go check temp of chicken, breasts right around 150 so leave on dome still at 250. Open the vents to 100% so I can get the chicken done. Pulled the pork butts, they pulled so beautifully there were a few spots that were over done but mixed in with the rest of the meat and no one knew. 6:00 check chicken again breast at 160 pulled off, made a little tent of foil and waited for a bit to cut.

Everything was great, lots of complements on the food and only about 45 min of lost sleep. What a great cook.

2:30 AM - 6:00 PM -- two 7.5# pork butts + one 5# chicken @ 250* on 1 ring of K briquetts. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif
You're happy we're all happy! Sounds great to me! You might want to experiment with a full water pan/empty water pan, change up smoke woods, finish foiled/unfoiled just to expand your experience. Or you may wish to go with the status quo. Up to you. You were happy so it worked out great for you at any rate. Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a good cook. I had my wsm for several years and still like water in the pan. I never tried sand. Some times no water when doing chicken or no pan at all. But most of the time I use water and let it cook.

Way to go, Joey. Do it again. What ever works for you, sounds good. Thats the way i learned from a lot of good folks on this forum. Many of my posts are probably "plagerized"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
Doesn't it feel good when it all comes together the way you wanted?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It feels way good. I was impressed with the length of time I was able to get out of 1 ring of charcoal. The little WSM just kept chugging away.

Back