Weekend of Camping and Cooking

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
My father-in-law rented a cabin on the north fork of the Tye river up in the Blue Ridge mountains for a weekend getaway. My brother-in-law with his three kids and my daughter joined us.

Got up there Friday afternoon and set up the kitchen. Prepped some ribs, put them on and 3-1/2 hours later they were ready...could have stayed on a little longer but the kids were hungry and explaining "it's done when it's done" to 3, 4 and 8 year olds isn't an easy task. They were still very good.

Daybreak came too soon but there were hungry kids to feed. Biscuits, bacon and eggs were on the menu for breakfast. While the biscuits were "baking" I set up the WSM and added a 6.5# butt, Chris Lilly injection style. After breakfast we went fishing on the Tye River and at a very well stocked pond. Then back to the cabin for a rousing game of "Red Light, Green Light", all the while the shoulder and WSM were chugging along.

9.5 hours later and the butt was soft like buttah. Rested in the cooler for a couple of hours and then pulled.

Pulled pork sammies with cole slaw and chips all around.

IMG_3202.jpg

Earlier in the week I started a post about using river water in the pan. After reading the replies I said screw it and decided to go dry. I don't see me ever using water again. I think it was easier to control temps without the water and was more stable, IMO. We were away from camp for 5 hours. When we left the ET-73 was reading 243. When we got back it read 240. The WSM is an unbelievable machine.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!!

Winner of "Best Post of the Year" goes to:
Don Cash!

Simply outstanding photos of cooks, kids, and scenery Don!
The cabin with the Webers in front is background material, and probaby could be sold to Weber!
Congrats on going dry too!

Another great cook Don - You apply all the right rules, including a family outing. Really a nice job. Thanks for sharing. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i love it
I LOVE IT
I LOVE IT!
Don Cash : aka : THE KING!
Those are memories your kids AND family will never VERY forget... you are a very lucky man Don Cash! THAT, is what life is ALL about!
Great post! The GREATEST!

don have u ever tried it without the waterpan? i never use the pan no problem controlling temps and uses much less charcoal. i get 4to5 cooks off of one bag of kingsford blue. i buy the double pack at homedepot everytime i go. have about 10 bags in stock all the time. also at walmart i buy the duraflame matchstick firestarters for my weber charcoal chimmey them starters are awesome. all u need is one starter.

Mr. Cash,

Incredible post, pics and vacation! The kids make it all better! Hope you have that cabin reserved for next year!

Did you go empty foiled or clay foiled on the pan?

Thanks everyone. It really was a great weekend. My daughter just went to bed and before telling me goodnight asked when we were going back...My guess, soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Did you go empty foiled or clay foiled on the pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glenn, I just did the empty, foiled pan. I have always been amazed at the efficiency of the WSM. I was even more blown away with it without water. I used half the amount of charcoal that I normally would with water.

Wow Don what a great post!

Now that's what I call a top notch weekend!

All I did all weekend was work.

Thanks for sharing Don.

Hey Don, you get my vote, as well, for best post of the year!!!
icon_wink.gif
That, right there is what it's all about
icon_cool.gif
Family outdoor adventures with kids/grand kids and some exceptional Q'n
icon_wink.gif

"I don't see me ever using water again."
Hey, another convert! Seriously, great post Don. Thanks for sharing the good times.

Back