Weekday Ribs

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Working from home certainly does have some perks. I never could've done this on a work day before COVID. Got a 3 pack of baby backs from Costco a while back and took 'em out of the freezer yesterday. I was thrilled to see all three already had the membrane removed. I rubbed two down with a modified BRITU rub (mixed with some leftover small amounts of Stubb's BBQ rub and Chris Lily 'Championship' rub. The third was just given some Chinese 5 Spice. I cooked that one until just shy of done and took it off to cool. I then vac sealed it and will reheat on the Performer at a later date with an Asian inspired sauce, some sesame noodles and probably an Asian slaw. The other two got some fresh No. 5 Sauce and the kids and I devoured about a rack and a half, along with some Caesar salad. Good cook overall - I ran temps around 275 and they took about 3 hours. Two large chunks of apple and one small chunk of cherry. K-Pro for fuel. To fit all 3 on the top rack, I 'rounded' them. I think I like this method, as the short, skinny ribs on the ends get a little protection. The drawback is you should probably flip them halfway through, as the top of the racks seemed to cook a little faster than the bottom.

1600389617440.jpeg

1600389648282.jpeg

1600389665402.jpeg

1600389707039.jpeg

1600389722350.jpeg

That rack with the Chinese 5 Spice sounds interesting. I'll be watching for those ribs again when you do your Asian inspired sauce and sides. Meanwhile, the other two racks look fantastic. I've often been tempted to do a potpourri rub by combining the way too many jars of long forgotten rubs residing in my cupboard.

That rack with the Chinese 5 Spice sounds interesting. I'll be watching for those ribs again when you do your Asian inspired sauce and sides. Meanwhile, the other two racks look fantastic. I've often been tempted to do a potpourri rub by combining the way too many jars of long forgotten rubs residing in my cupboard.

Here's what I'm going to try for the sauce: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sweet-and-spicy-asian-barbecued-ribs-recipe-1921889

The potpourri rub is something I always think about when mixing up a new batch. Always some near-empty containers of spice or store bought rubs to be found, so I try to use 'em up. No two rubs are ever the same! ;)

Back