Weber USA charcoal briquettes

When I was at a Thanksgiving grilling class at Weber Grill Academy, they were using a brand of charcoal called "Barbeque Wood Flavors." I was told this could be found locally, but I've never seen it (have to admit, I haven't looked).

The instructing chef recommended this stuff and made a comment about Weber thinking about marketing it under their name. I don't know if this is what happened, other than that comment I have no proof of anything. That BWF charcoal worked fine and I'd have no problems with using it. Maybe it's completely unrelated to this BWF stuff. But that might be a comparison worth investigating.

I might well try some of this Weber stuff. At $20/20lbs, it's high, but high compared to KBB, it's not that far off the Kingsford Professional on a per-pound basis. Not as cheap as Stubbs per pound. In a ziploc bag it might be easier to fiddle with too. I will probably get a bag to try out.

Good info! I found this on the Barbeque Wood Flavors website:

"Barbeque Wood Flavors was started in 1984, under the name of Bloomfield Farms and was the first fully integrated, high speed chip and chunk processing system in the U.S. with a year around uniform product capability. It was sold to George Wartsbaugh in 1986 and then to Weber-Stephen Products that same year. The name was changed to Barbeque Wood Flavors after the Weber-Stephen purchase. In 1992, the company was sold back to George Wartsbaugh and in 1994, Barbeque Wood Flavors acquired Flying W Wood Products, which was also one of the three original wood producers in the United States."

So there was a Weber connection in the past...maybe that connection has been rejuvenated?

Thanks for that info Phil.
I'm convinced that BWF is the supplier to Weber, just not sure if they're the actual charcoal maker since their specialty appears to be smoke wood chips and chunks. Another guess is they are the supplier for the Weber's chips.
BWF's lump is not rated well at all on the Naked Whiz site.

I did some digging around, like Chris, but couldn't find much other than a listing for an 8.3 lb size that also comes in a plastic resealable bag.
http://www.publix.com/p/RIO-PCI-174956?ch=11.10.

B&B charcoal is also located in Texas, so maybe they're the actual maker.

944936-600x600-A.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, another thing for George to be upset by! But, it had better be mighty amazing charcoal for a buck a pound! I'm going to use what I have and just see how that tests put by you kind, information sharing folks!
Just picking on you George.;)

I don't think I've run across, seen or heard of BWF making briquettes....but I'm not as close to the business as I once was.

I have it on good authority that BWF sells wood dust to Kingsford for flavored briquettes and they supply the wood chips sold under the Kingsford label.

Someone on the weber facebook page that the charcoal was made by royal oak. Weber being who they are said they were made in the usa. I told weber to take a hike.

Back