Weber thermometer problem

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi. I tend to use a Weber thermometer when I'm cooking in my WSM - one of the ones which has a probe into the meat, a metal sort of wire going to a round transmitter and a remote temperature gauge. It has been great for a couple of years.

The last twice I've used it, the temperature readout has been really erratic - 64°, 0°, 72°, 0° - ending up with zero again. So I'm guessing at the inside temp of the meat!

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks

Andrew

First off, I'll assume you've tried replacing the batteries. Some electronic gadgets act squirrelly when the batteries get low.

If the batteries are good, then there are 3 components to the system: the probe, the transmitter, and the receiver. If you had another identical (and working) unit you could check each of these to isolate the problem. If not, my first suspect would be the probe, since it typically has more opportunities to get damaged in use (water in the probe, broken wire, etc.) than the transmitter or receiver. Again, without having a second unit to test with, it would be hard to say for sure that the probe is the problem*. You could take the chance of ordering a replacement probe, but you might be just as well off to buy another thermometer.

*Does moving the cable around cause the reading to change? If so, you might have a damaged cable.

I am on my third probe. It seems they are pretty sensitive to heat. I now have the wire wrapped in foil to protect it, and am extremely careful to not expose the tip of the probe to high heat.

There is a reset button on both the transmitter and the receiver. After you install new batteries, be sure to reset both for testing.

Downside for this is the temp only goes to 165 (steak well done), which for barbecuing is not high enough of a readout (200+). Before spending big money to get it working, consider a NuTemp 701 or Maverick ET73. Good luck.

Back