Weber Summits on Sale 30% Off - A Harbinger of a New Summit on the Horizon?

John, I wish you luck and many enjoyable cooks with your new monster grill.
But, a word of caution. I don't think moisture is really the culprit for the problems with the Summit. Certainly on the cabinet areas, it is, but on the cook box, it is primarily just due to poor design and heat from the burners. Even so, low humidity and keeping it out of the rain will help.

Post up some pictures when you get it set up and cooking.
Hey Bruce, thanks for the tips. I don't expect it to last much longer than 10 years, and 10 years is the amount of time I can get any faulty parts replaced by Weber for free. Expecting more than 10 years out of modern grills is unfortunately only something we could do some time ago. My life has changed a lot and time for grilling with charcoal is not as frequent as it used to be. This grill will allow me to cook more outside, and enjoy it while I do. In a twist of irony, now the weber website shows the s470 in stock, and the s670 is not in stock lol (LP versions).

I don't expect it to last much longer than 10 years, and 10 years is the amount of time I can get any faulty parts replaced by Weber for free.
Weber has not always been reliable in this regard in years past when it came to some Summit parts (cue member LMichaels). Not trying to bum you out, but you need to go into it with eyes wide open. These grills don't sell in high numbers, so if they run out of something like fireboxes at the 8 year mark, they may not make more to satisfy such small demand. At least that seems to be what happened years ago with first-gen Summits.

As Chris said that is IF you can get the parts they promise to warranty. Jon has my old Summit. At the time my Firebox rusted out it was WELL under the warranty period. But, they left me high and dry. So honestly their warranty? I don't give it much more than what you have on the roll in front of your porcelain goddess. Oh sure, if they have the parts they're quite generous to the customer. But they change design just a bit, new one is not compatible so you find yourself SOL

Thanks Chris and Lmichaels. Im aware of the risks here, but will take my lumps if they eventually come. I have had very good history with weber customer care. I had issues with my weber E6 (I had the faulty cart when they initially launched, received an additional grill for free, and recycled the old one to my brother), and my smoke fire as well. I feel even if the parts are not available in 8 years, an acceptable workaround can be negotiated, even a discount on a then-current product. If I am expecting them to always have every part available in perpetuity, I believe I am going to be disappointed. The more likely scenario for me is that a new model is released in the next 1-5 years, where I will sell this one and upgrade to the newer one.

Glad you have that kind of disposable $$$$. I sure didn't/don't.
I wish I did, but I consider the 2500 I spent yesterday split over 8 years or so as acceptable. The E6 and smoke fire were each $600, so I was fortunate there. I have always wanted the functionality of the summit, so its a splurge for me for sure.

Yeah, I guess it's a matter of "degree". When I invested the $199 in the Member's Mark pellet grill, that was a gamble I did not mind making. $2500?! I better see a solid 25 years out of it (of course at my age now that's laughable) :D

Everyone has a different budget, income and value of a dollar. It is a personal thing. I am not a wealthy person by an means and I really don't resent those that are and are able to buy stuff that I can only dream of. I know I am better off than most people in this world. Just by being a US citizen and living in the USA is a huge nudge up the ladder in life. Regardless of income or size of bank account. I am sure a majority of people living in El Salvador consider me wealthy.

Larry, I was not knocking your post. Just kinda thinking out loud. I have never had a silver spoon in my mouth and have know many that did. Yes, I was jealous at times, but looking back, I don't feel like I really missing anything. Certainly glad I wasn't one of Hunter's kids even though I could buy a lot of Summits if I was.

Everyone has a different budget, income and value of a dollar. It is a personal thing. I am not a wealthy person by an means and I really don't resent those that are and are able to buy stuff that I can only dream of. I know I am better off than most people in this world. Just by being a US citizen and living in the USA is a huge nudge up the ladder in life. Regardless of income or size of bank account. I am sure a majority of people living in El Salvador consider me wealthy.
Judge a man by how he treats the man who cannot do anything for him, and not by the size of his wallet.

Larry, I was not knocking your post. Just kinda thinking out loud. I have never had a silver spoon in my mouth and have know many that did. Yes, I was jealous at times, but looking back, I don't feel like I really missing anything. Certainly glad I wasn't one of Hunter's kids even though I could buy a lot of Summits if I was.
Oh believe me I know. Never meant to infer otherwise my friend. Same with me. When I got that Summit, I heard 25 year warranty and looked at the newer ones on the floor at same or higher cost with much cheaper workmanship and I took the older model at the better price. Honestly when I had the rust through issue, totally forgot about the warranty, until I spoke with Weber.

sorry, I don't mean to paint a life of luxury, just a splurge on a grill with features I always felt would be great to have. I still drive a small car and live in a modest home :). I have the blessing of my wife on the purchase (worth more than the money). Along with the cost comes the risk it will under deliver on reliability. I have weighed and accepted that risk. I appreciate as always the collective knowledge the Weber experts offer here. I don't post here much, but have enjoyed the experience you all have in the many years I have frequented the forums. Weber sent me a shipping email today, so another week or so!

Honestly do hope you will have good luck with it. I can tell you fo sho it will cook great and be way more versatile than the Genesis of today is. I just hope you get your $$$ worth out of it. And $$$ worth means different things to different folks

sorry, I don't mean to paint a life of luxury, just a splurge on a grill with features I always felt would be great to have. I still drive a small car and live in a modest home :). I have the blessing of my wife on the purchase (worth more than the money). Along with the cost comes the risk it will under deliver on reliability. I have weighed and accepted that risk. I appreciate as always the collective knowledge the Weber experts offer here. I don't post here much, but have enjoyed the experience you all have in the many years I have frequented the forums. Weber sent me a shipping email today, so another week or so!
John,
I always struggled with grilling space on my 4-burner Summit because of the wasted smoke box space. 6-burner is better, but I'd still suggest buying one of these kits while they are available.

Oh believe me I know. Never meant to infer otherwise my friend. Same with me. When I got that Summit, I heard 25 year warranty and looked at the newer ones on the floor at same or higher cost with much cheaper workmanship and I took the older model at the better price. Honestly when I had the rust through issue, totally forgot about the warranty, until I spoke with Weber.
Well, Weber certainly didn't prepare for or honor that 25-year warranty:mad:. But other than the firebox lousy design (now so far fixed with stainless reinforcements) at least the rest of the grill has made it to just about 25 years with just some repainting and spiffing up:coolkettle::

Cooking Away!.jpeg

Attachments

• Cooking.jpeg
    Cooking.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 5
John,
I always struggled with grilling space on my 4-burner Summit because of the wasted smoke box space. 6-burner is better, but I'd still suggest buying one of these kits while they are available.

Very cool, I didn't even think to look for this. Thanks Mack!

Well, Weber certainly didn't prepare for or honor that 25-year warranty:mad:. But other than the firebox lousy design (now so far fixed with stainless reinforcements) at least the rest of the grill has made it to just about 25 years with just some repainting and spiffing up:coolkettle::

View attachment 74705

Joe, excellent example you have there. Very nice.

Back