Weber Summit Review

I endured it, at 1.75X. I don't know his work but apparently he does better on other reviews given his intro. We listen real time as he learns on this one.

Thanks for sharing.

I endured it, at 1.75X. I don't know his work but apparently he does better on other reviews given his intro. We listen real time as he learns on this one.

Thanks for sharing.
I guess my first impression regardless of his assessment is it looks like a polished Genesis with no real benefits to this model. The one with all the smarts maybe a game changer. Be interesting to see as it seems the more recent Summits did not get much love.

Not one of my favorite reviews, either. I don't believe for one minute that he has that drip tray holder installed correctly. No way that it would be held on a 45 degree angle. Maybe rushed this review. Also, while he praised the "seamless" firebox, he made no mention of how the old ones had porcelain coated steel that failed all too often. I gave up 3/4 of the way...

I like this Summit a lot better than the one it replaces. I especially like it in black which breaks up the stainless. A little reminiscent of the 1st generation in black.

New 4th Generation Summit.jpgCooking.jpeg

Maybe I will finish later as he said he was going to do a steak on it. I am very interested in how that top-down infrared will work.

Obviously not a guy who deals with older grills. He mentioned it was an aluminum cook box, but didn't highlight that it was a change from the previous models. He probably didn't know or care though since he probably hasn't used one that was old enough to experince the cook box panel burn through. I would have to say that grease collection pan was installed impropperly too. It doesn't make sense that it is at an angle like it was. But he didn't seem to think it was a real issue. LOL

One little change I noticed is that they changed the position markers for the burner knobs from the control panel. Those were a royal pain on the 300 series front control grills where they started washing off after the first good cleaning. I don't know how they painted on the new ones and the "SUMMIT" logo, but I hope they don't come off easily.

I will take my old Summit's porcelain control panel any day. Yeah, a little bit of fade, but the lettering can be well cleaned with no worry.

Finished Controls .jpeg

As Jon noted Finally a cast aluminum firebox! The rest looks a little cheesy to me. Drip pan was definitely not installed correctly! This was the worst review I have ever seen him do and he mentioned how good he was at it;-) Sorry but I am staying with my Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB with the IR side burner. I never used the regular side burner on any grill but use the IR burner at least 2x more than I use the rest of the grill.

People shouldn’t day drink before recording reviews. Possibly one of his worst grill reviews ever. And I’ve watched a bunch of his previous reviews over the years. That was sad to sit through.

I don't believe for one minute that he has that drip tray holder installed correctly.

He was sooooooo close. If you notice at about the 5:20 mark,
he pulls down on it to make it nearly level, but just not quite enough.
If he would have pulled it just a little more it snaps in place, fully level.

Has this guy ever used a side burner? He doubts it can boil corn?
He calls it a piece of junk before even testing it. SMH.
For the record, even the side burners on the Spirits will boil water,
or fry chicken and fish just fine.

@9:25 when lifting the lid he says ..."I haven't even dug into this,"
Yes, we know. That is blatantly clear.

Terrible and rushed review aside.... this as mentioned above, is
nothing more than a glorified Genesis.
Folks that buy $50 cups and $500 coolers from Yeti may like this grill.
Real grill guys that are looking to invest 4K in a lifetime grill will
be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
For a guy that sells high end grills for a living, you'd think he'd be a bit more knowledgeable about the details and potential shortcomings.
Came off as a frat boy trying to talk about grills.
They have a new SS Summit on display in the Ace down the road. I took a cursory look at it but I had the dogs with me so I couldn't give it any real attention...and it's $4000...dude got that part right.

There are plenty of people around here that will pay that for Ace to assemble and put it on their desk, patio or pool deck.
I'll take a closer look perhaps today.

Spends more time just talking than really saying anything. And when he does say something relevant, it is usually just plain wrong.

Sounds like the guy had done decent reviews in the past, but this one was just pitiful. I agree, it looked as though he just got off the golf course after 18 holes and 12 beers and someone asked him to do a review on the new Summit.

I would NEVER pay $4K for that Summit (or realistically ANY grill). I even agree that $4,000 will buy you some really fine grills that would likely be a better choice. Back when I lived in flashy South Florida, it wasn't all that uncommon for me to see some Fire Magic, Wolf, Lynx, etc. grills that started at $7,000+ being sold off for a quarter of that. Something along that line, along with a purchase of new parts, would make more sense for that much money.

Nonetheless, I do personally like this new Summit - more its style than the quality of build. A polished Genesis isn't such a bad thing, and the extras - particularly the top down infrared burner look very interesting.

I hope that Weber will consider a "Platinum" edition with real stainless cabinetry. Adding that to the cast aluminum firebox would make for one very nice grill.

I would NEVER pay $4K for that Summit (or realistically ANY grill). I even agree that $4,000 will buy you some really fine grills that would likely be a better choice. Back when I lived in flashy South Florida, it wasn't all that uncommon for me to see some Fire Magic, Wolf, Lynx, etc. grills that started at $7,000+ being sold off for a quarter of that. Something along that line, along with a purchase of new parts, would make more sense for that much money.

Nonetheless, I do personally like this new Summit - more its style than the quality of build. A polished Genesis isn't such a bad thing, and the extras - particularly the top down infrared burner look very interesting.

I hope that Weber will consider a "Platinum" edition with real stainless cabinetry. Adding that to the cast aluminum firebox would make for one very nice grill.
So the firebox issue was addressed. And all that part seems very solid...BUT it's all sitting on the same painted steel frame and we all know how that works out. Also, kind of interesting how this massive Weber sits on those tiny casters and $250 pellet grills have outsized polyurethane wheels with ball bearing hubs.

Last edited:
IMO, if I am going to spend $4k+ for a grill, it needs to look like more than a glorified Genesis. At that price point, there are a lot of choices, and you at least need to make yours look like a premium product. Blaze, Napoleon etc. offer a lot at that price point.

IMO, if I am going to spend $4k+ for a grill, it needs to look like more than a glorified Genesis. At that price point, there are a lot of choices, and you at least need to make yours look like a premium product. Blaze, Napoleon etc. offer a lot at that price point.
That is an interesting page with great comparisons in that price range. The Weber does not hold a candle to those other grills that are 100% 304 Stainless.

I came here hoping y'all had figured out how to put the broiler into my grill! Or, how about the crossover ignition in case of flame out?

That guy has done better work. I hope he replaces that video when he recovers from whatever impaired him.

My new Genesis 435 has a similar grease pan. Mine hung at the same angle, then I looked at it for 10 seconds and realized I could adjust it level.

My cabinet has similar construction, so I'm stealing the rear storage hooks idea for the rotisserie spit.

I can understand the premium price for the "smart" Summit, but I think $4k for this basic one is nuts. I could buy 2 retail priced 435's, aftermarket 9mm grates, rotisserie, external steak broiler and still be ahead.

I came here hoping y'all had figured out how to put the broiler into my grill! Or, how about the crossover ignition in case of flame out?

That guy has done better work. I hope he replaces that video when he recovers from whatever impaired him.

My new Genesis 435 has a similar grease pan. Mine hung at the same angle, then I looked at it for 10 seconds and realized I could adjust it level.

My cabinet has similar construction, so I'm stealing the rear storage hooks idea for the rotisserie spit.

I can understand the premium price for the "smart" Summit, but I think $4k for this basic one is nuts. I could buy 2 retail priced 435's, aftermarket 9mm grates, rotisserie, external steak broiler and still be ahead.
That certainly is a good equation and something I thought about as well. $4k is hard to swallow and may prove to be a challenge for Weber. I guess I am the only one here who actually likes this grill, putting aside my significant grievance over the painted steel cabinetry. Otherwise, I think it looks good and has a few nice features I would like to see in action. And, yeah, if someone gave me one, I would be looking for better replacement casters. Again, I don't see the value in this grill at the $4K asking price, and I agree on the shortcomings others here have pointed out. I do like the style and some of the features, though, if they pan out to be what is promised.

That is an interesting page with great comparisons in that price range. The Weber does not hold a candle to those other grills that are 100% 304 Stainless.
No question that ~$4K puts you in a higher competition band than what you generally see at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. Those all-stainless grills will definitely last much longer and sustain more abusive environments. I would like to see an actual cook-off comparing how well they GRILL. Still, Weber may be reaching a little too high. The basic model would be more competitive in the under $3K arena. I guess we will see.

I noticed that Crown Verity grill on that page. Probably 5 years ago now, I fell into one of those for $100 because the owner told Crown Verity that his grill was "rusting out." Crown Verity took him at his word and sent him AN ENTIRELY NEW GRILL! The "rust" turned out to be just some discoloration from the Florida salt air that came off with white vinegar and a little elbow grease.

Crown Verity Exterior AFTER.jpeg

Sorry that my old pics were lost when my photo posting board shut down:

Crown Verity's are really rugged but simple commercial grills and have some definite oddities. They (at least the one I did) use a large water pan as the drip tray. You have to keep it full of water. I got that grill to donate to the kitchen at the small college associated with the non-profit that I worked for.

John Beardsley grilling on Crown Verity.jpg

I showed them how to use it, but over time and with changes of personnel, after I moved from there, someone borrowed it to cook a ton of burgers with NO WATER in the tray. They wound up with a full-scale thermonuclear event totally destroying that grill :eek: which was so perfect for them:cry:.

Back