Weber Summit Gold D4 Restoration

Update 5

new firebox, refreshed manifold with lubed valves, new ignitions, 1 year old ss flavorizer bars, burners and RCP grates3B451CD4-C426-4EF2-83E2-EA12068CFEAD.jpeg
AFB70404-368D-4484-BCD0-EBEFA9502B62.jpegC353EC84-641A-474B-A80A-D64E981C5666.jpeg8014911C-4B87-4010-9193-0BC8E2A421E5.jpeg53674D42-93CD-4384-B9CC-D346C85AA9FA.jpeg606BF23B-51D6-401D-9DDE-08508B038B0C.jpeg

Nice work on that. One thing about those Summits they do cook great. And with the smoke and rotisserie burners it will be very versatile

I think that is the first real restore of a Summit that I have seen. I have seen a couple attempts but nothing that brought one back from the landfill like that restore. The only problem is, the parts required. It wasn't just some cleaning and new grates and flavorizer bars. That was a near total rebuild. I imagine you got Weber to help you out with many of those new parts or that thing would have been a very expensive rebuild.

Please post up some photos of that in action today along with a review of how it does.

Bruce you are correct, the parts are expensive. Between the burners, bars, RCP grates last year and new parts this year I am easily $500 into it. I do feel like I have a new grill though and I would not be interested in a new Summit so this seemed a reasonable compromise to hopefully get another 10-15 years before the rust retires it for good.

Weber did help me out a lot on the parts so the cost was nearly cut in half. Sean from Weber has been great. He has helped me get my Smokefire in working order but it has been a long road with many replacement parts. I love the flavor of the food that comes off the Smokefire but until recently it has not been reliable.

The Summit is my Wisconsin winter workhorse. I love the ease and high temps. During my first run yesterday it easily reached over 700. We also love a chicken or pork roast on the rotisserie.

i will post some action shots but today is smoked wings on the smokefire.

You did a great job on that, and I am glad Weber did their part to help make that possible. I am sure it will be a great grill to use. You just need to go a little extra on the maintenance to help it last to its potential.

Bruce is right that these are pricey to restore. Not a grill for flipping. But for your own use this one worked out great. I admit I would like to do a Platinum version (or a 1st generation). I know, however, that would just be another large grill looking for a place amid my too large a collection of grills I don't need. Maybe I need to start thinking about a 2nd and 3rd home. That would justify owning more grills, right?!!! :coolkettle:

Back