Weber Summit 670 rebuild COMPLETED

Don D.

TVWBB Fan
Hi,
It's my Bday today which means my grill is 13 years old, one of the best Bday presents I ever got. I need to rebuild it, major corrosion to the cookbox and interior parts. I have a brand new shroud, cookbox, burners, flavorizer bars and bottom shelf... How hard is it to take apart and put back together ?? I'm contemplating buying a new manifold, figure I might as well replace it while it's in pieces. Any tips or warnings before I start ?? Thanks

Happy birthday! I would take pictures of the way everything goes together and make sure I can source new parts before throwing away any of the old ones. Good luck and post some pictures of it.

Good idea on the pics. All parts are currently " in stock" in my Attic , besides the manifold. Shroud and Cookbox were received under warranty. Other parts were bought at a discount from Weber directly.

Good idea on the pics. All parts are currently " in stock" in my Attic , besides the manifold. Shroud and Cookbox were received under warranty. Other parts were bought at a discount from Weber directly.
IIRC Weber has an exploded view that you can use as a map for which part goes where. I’d recco you use that as your bible as you embark on this rebuild. Good luck. May you have the patience of a saint.

Ordered the manifold, regulator hose,IR burner, heat shield, writing harness. Asked for and received 10% off the Weber prices. Grill is 13 years old and definitely got my monies worth. However with the new shroud and Cookbox , hoping to make it like a new grill.

Don,
Sounds like you will have what you need to make that grill new again. I hope you will post pictures of the process. We need more about theses Summit grills here for all of us to learn more about them.

Hi Jon, I know it's not you're favorite grill. I was lucky and read about the cookbox burn through here 2 years ago. Weber warrantied it even though it was a year out of warranty. I was lucky. They also sent me a new hood due to a little rust. Not sure if I'll replace that now or not ... I love this grill and with the growing family , kids getting married, it's fantastic.

Last edited:
Hi Jon, I know it's not you're favorite grill. I was lucky and read about the cookbox burn through here 2 years ago. Weber warrantied it even though it was a year out of warranty. I was lucky. They also sent me a new hood due to a little rust. Not sure if I'll replace that now or not ... I love this grill and with the growing family , kids getting married, it's fantastic.
Congratulations, adding life to an older Grill that you love is a great thing, take whatever Weber is willing to give you.

I Hope to start the rebuild within the next two weeks. I have a new bottom panel as well, what's a good spray to give it before installation that should inhibit rusting out (again)

I had a cook box replaced by Weber on an old genesis under lifetime warranty about 5 years ago due to rust through

Replaced bottom panel today. Sprayed it first with Rust-Oleum rust preventive enamel. Slightly off color, but it's inside the cabinet and not worried about asthetics.

Attachments

• 20220515_132817.jpg
    20220515_132817.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220515_141634.jpg
    20220515_141634.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220515_141002.jpg
    20220515_141002.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Replaced bottom panel today. Sprayed it first with Rust-Oleum rust preventive enamel. Slightly off color, but it's inside the cabinet and not worried about astheticse.
Don, are you in a location with high humidity and or snow? I’ve never see the bottom cabinet wear like yours did so I’m thinking weather is a contributing factor?

Don, are you in a location with high humidity and or snow? I’ve never see the bottom cabinet wear like yours did so I’m thinking weather is a contributing factor?
It was 13 years old last Sunday. Was my 40th Birthday present... Stays on my concrete patio and was always covered. Very possible that in snow storms some snow got inside and sat there too long. Will hopefully rebuild entire grill in next two weeks, received a new cookbox and hood under warranty. Bought some other parts so I don't have to do this again....

Last edited:
That actually looked pretty good for the E3xx grills I see around here.
Just a note, but I seem to remember that having a grill like that on a concrete slab is an issue with rust as well.

That actually looked pretty good for the E3xx grills I see around here.
Just a note, but I seem to remember that having a grill like that on a concrete slab is an issue with rust as well.
Or stored within close proximity of pool chemicals.

Or stored within close proximity of pool chemicals.
Interesting, but we had to move out for 7 months as we had some renovations done. We moved the 670 up to the pool area to keep it safe.... But then again I have a Silver C in the pool area since the 670 joined the family and there is absolutely no rust on it... Who knows

Back