Weber Spirit Special Edition 4420201

I did a preheat at HHH, seared in the middle at HMH for 2 minutes on each side, then turned off the center and turned down 1,3 to MOM and did 2:30 per side. Turned out good. Might try 2 per side on MOM instead of 2:30 next time.

Anyway, going to try this cover I found. It’s a bit long, but can’t beat the price. I ordered last night. Their other covers are much more expensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4WIV5A/?tag=tvwb-20

That grill cover just arrived and it is really nice for the cost. Again, their other covers are at least 3x’s the price of this one.

Also, the QuliMetal SS flavorizer bars arrived today too. (I know I didn’t need them but through Amazon warehouse they were half off). Do I need to season them or anything? I am going to wash them but wasn’t sure if I had to do anything else to them.

a coating of oil wont hurt, but once washed, they should be good to go.
Thanks. The only visual difference (besides the current shine and thickness) is that the new bars don’t have the little hole at the end of them like the Weber ones do.

What's the point of washing them? Also if you already had SS bars what's the point of buying new ones?

What's the point of washing them? Also if you already had SS bars what's the point of buying new ones?
Point of washing to me is just to get anything off from production. Can’t hurt if I wash and dry them.

I have heard some people don’t wash their new clothes before they wear them for the first time, but I do.

It looked like they were SS, but they didn’t look awesome, and for $23 I figured why not get new ones where I can be the person who gets them used. Might spring for new grates too at the warehouse price.

The new ones you bought are probably not as good as what was there. But eh to each their own. I'll keep my money for steaks and scotch

Michael,
If you got new Qlimetal 304 stainless flavorizers for $23, then you got a very good deal. I would say they are, in my opinion, better than the OEM Weber ones. I do agree with Larry that the originals would have worked perfectly well for years to come. It's your grill, though, so if shiny new ones give it more spizazz for starting out, it's all good! The main thing is to ENJOY your Weber that you have given a good home to.

Oh, I thought we were talking about grates regarding the washing and seasoning. On flavorizer bars, just drop them in and fire up the grill. Grates could be washed first.

Michael,
If you got new Qlimetal 304 stainless flavorizers for $23, then you got a very good deal. I would say they are, in my opinion, better than the OEM Weber ones. I do agree with Larry that the originals would have worked perfectly well for years to come. It's your grill, though, so if shiny new ones give it more spizazz for starting out, it's all good! The main thing is to ENJOY your Weber that you have given a good home to.

Yep, those are the ones I got. I wouldn’t have paid full price for them but for $23 seemed like it made sense.
Same with the grates....from the same company they have them really cheap right now. $30. It would make me smile to see new grates and bars, and knowing I am the one who will break them in. Current grates work though and I cleaned them as best I could. Not shiny but at least they are clean.

Well, those Weber OEM grates are not bad at all. In fact, they were one of the special selling points of that particular model. They will do very well for you, and as others have noted, one or two cooks and your shiny new ones will look the same. But, still if you can get a set for $30 and would really enjoy that, then why not. The Qlimetal has pretty similar spacing, but they are 304 vs. 430 stainless, so again a little better than the OEM Weber. I will say, though, I have not had any Weber 430 grates rust out in any way. I don't think this material difference matters as much for grates that are usually seasoned with baked on grease.
Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_03.jpg

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_05.jpg

If shipping weren't so crazy, I would buy the used Weber ones from you if you ever did replace them. Do take note that the Qlimetal grates are not quite as wide front to back as the OEM Weber. If your firebox has any bulging they can slide around some. You might want to measure carefully before buying or look at Hongso who makes a practically identical grate (not finished as well) that is wide enough to avoid this issue.

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_04.jpg

Well, those Weber OEM grates are not bad at all. In fact, they were one of the special selling points of that particular model. They will do very well for you, and as others have noted, one or two cooks and your shiny new ones will look the same. But, still if you can get a set for $30 and would really enjoy that, then why not. The Qlimetal has pretty similar spacing, but they are 304 vs. 430 stainless, so again a little better than the OEM Weber. I will say, though, I have not had any Weber 430 grates rust out in any way. I don't think this material difference matters as much for grates that are usually seasoned with baked on grease.
View attachment 23461

View attachment 23462

If shipping weren't so crazy, I would buy the used Weber ones from you if you ever did replace them. Do take note that the Qlimetal grates are not quite as wide front to back as the OEM Weber. If your firebox has any bulging they can slide around some. You might want to measure carefully before buying or look at Hongso who makes a practically identical grate (not finished as well) that is wide enough to avoid this issue.

View attachment 23463
Thanks. Great comparison to see.
I just wish I could get them a bit cleaner. Tried soaking in vinegar and baking soda then scrubbing, twice. Also tried heat and scrub with a wire brush. And even wrapped in foil and ran hot for 20 minutes. Still has stuff I can’t get off. But as I said, I know they are clean, just wish they looked better. The edges and underneath still don’t look great.

Do have a detail sander? Using fine grit with something like that might get you closer to what you are looking for. Still, they will never shine like new unless you take down more metal than you would want. And remember, if you do buy new ones, take a bunch of pictures to remember them by. They won't look too good on the underneath and will have carbon build-up in short order!

Thanks. Great comparison to see.
I just wish I could get them a bit cleaner. Tried soaking in vinegar and baking soda then scrubbing, twice. Also tried heat and scrub with a wire brush. And even wrapped in foil and ran hot for 20 minutes. Still has stuff I can’t get off. But as I said, I know they are clean, just wish they looked better. The edges and underneath still don’t look great.
Be VERY VERY careful doing that. Good way to irreparably damage your fire box. Don't be so hung up on parts being shiny. It's not important. If the bars you bought actually ARE 304 SS and the heavier gauge to boot yeah those likely are slightly better than the OEM ones. But here too. People get too hung up on this stuff

Like Jon said, after a few cooks, they will be all black again. But, I understand that desire to start fresh. All of my rehabs are completely cleaned out with almost always brand new SS internals. Customers pay a premium for that over the basic clean up.

Do have a detail sander? Using fine grit with something like that might get you closer to what you are looking for. Still, they will never shine like new unless you take down more metal than you would want. And remember, if you do buy new ones, take a bunch of pictures to remember them by. They won't too good on the underneath and will have carbon build-up in short order!

I guess I could use my dremel on the really bad spots, but I would be concerned about damaging them.
Lol, yeah. I will probably just stick with these. It’s just the “deal” part of it that is enticing.

Even better. Maybe I buy them and keep them on the grill. That way when I want to look at it I can see them. When it comes time to use the grill, I swap them out with the used Weber ones. LOL

Anyway, I think I am done for now replacing things. It works and works well. I know it’s just because I bought it used, and it was really really dirty inside when I picked it up. So being able to buy new shiny parts for really cheap is enticing. Kinda like making it mine. If I owned this grill from the beginning, I wouldn’t even be considering changing them out.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
I was looking at grates, just to compare, and from this awesome comparison I have a question.

It shows that the Weber grates are magnetic, possibly using 430, but when I check mine, there is no magnetic at all. I can get a magnetic to pull/attach to the outside of the grill, but there is no response on the grates. Did Weber change the grade of stainless? Just found it odd. My grates are only 8 years old or so.

Back