Weber Smokey Mountain 18 Grates/Water Pan questions

MatthewS

TVWBB Member
I've wanted a WSM forever and found a WSM 18 on the side of the road during our local "junk day". It's in great condition - I haven't found a serial number yet.

The grates seem to be pretty bad and rusted. A couple of grates questions...I'll use this photo as a guide.

71KpHiunoGL._AC_SL1499_.jpg

1. Top grate - I'm totally new to smoking. Will I mostly use the top grate? Any suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement?

2. Middle gate - my WSM didn't come with a water pan, however, I found a free brickmann water pan...but it's slightly too small in diameter (maybe from a 14" Birckman smoker). Can I put a water pan on top of the middle grate and call it a day, or does it have to hang below the middle grate? This is a $35 question and I'm trying to stay on budget.

3. The bottom grate is just for charcoal, so I don't think it needs to be replaced.

4. Charcoal ring - when do I use this, when don't I?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow, good find! Weber didn't serialize these grills until 2013. Prior to that, they were stamped with a two letter code on the damper to denote model year.

I do the majority of my cooking on the top cooking grate. I only use the bottom grate when I can't get all the meat to fit on the top grate. The WSM top cooking grate is the same one used in any 18.5" Weber kettle. In normal times they are found at any hardware store or home center for around $20.

Brinkmann water pan is too small for this WSM. It's the Brinkmann charcoal pan that fits and they're getting hard to find. Yes, if you're not cooking on the bottom grate, you can place any wide, shallow pan down there to create an indirect cooking setup, to catch drippings, for water during cooking, etc.

You can use the charcoal grate until the thing is literally about to rust through and fall apart. No points for style or appearance!

You use the charcoal chamber (ring) every time you cook. It keeps the charcoal and ashes from interfering with the vent dampers in the bowl that you use to control cooker temperature.

Please visit my website https://virtualweberbullet.com for everything you ever wanted to know about using the WSM and come back here to the forum to ask questions. You will especially want to look at:

OK, enough! I'll stop there!

Best,
Chris

Wow, good find! Weber didn't serialize these grills until 2013. Prior to that, they were stamped with a two letter code on the damper to denote model year.

I do the majority of my cooking on the top cooking grate. I only use the bottom grate when I can't get all the meat to fit on the top grate. The WSM top cooking grate is the same one used in any 18.5" Weber kettle. In normal times they are found at any hardware store or home center for around $20.

Brinkmann water pan is too small for this WSM. It's the Brinkmann charcoal pan that fits and they're getting hard to find. Yes, if you're not cooking on the bottom grate, you can place any wide, shallow pan down there to create an indirect cooking setup, to catch drippings, for water during cooking, etc.

You can use the charcoal grate until the thing is literally about to rust through and fall apart. No points for style or appearance!

You use the charcoal chamber (ring) every time you cook. It keeps the charcoal and ashes from interfering with the vent dampers in the bowl that you use to control cooker temperature.

Please visit my website https://virtualweberbullet.com for everything you ever wanted to know about using the WSM and come back here to the forum to ask questions. You will especially want to look at:

OK, enough! I'll stop there!

Best,
Chris

Can't thank you enough for the response and links. The "Wind and Rain" link was an especially great read as we live in a windy area. Thanks again and I'll head over to the weberbullet site!

Matthew,
Congrats on an amazing find, please know that Chris's advice is the best!!! Use his advice, his links, and the home web site to get you started and then come back here to ask more questions as you progress. I can't wait to see when you get it all together. Then I can't want to see so cooks!

Back