Weber Q - fuel shutting off with small tanks, differences in regulators?

I have a Weber q220, older that has hardly been used. Sat in my basement for a few years. Took it to the beachhouse to replace the q100 after 10 years of salty air.

The q220 randomly won’t stay lit. I’ve tried new propane bottles no luck. It will sometimes run fine for 20-30 minutes. It happens whether it’s on high or medium, low wind, clean grill. I’m guessing regulator. Will the q100 regulator work on the q200 series? Thanks all

I am not sure if the Q100 and Q200 regulator is interchangeable, but if I had to bet, it would be. It shouldn't be too hard to swap out and try. Your other option is to remove the current regulator and plumb in a standard grill hose and regulator that you can attach to a 20 lb tank. Then you don't have to mess with the expense of the small bottles or swapping them out every couple cooks.

They are different. The Q100 Q200 has an offset

Attachments

• 20200914_132134.png
    20200914_132134.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ah, then you will want to find a replacement or go with the bulk tank conversion. I do know that a new replacement regulator is expensive.

You might want to try removing the orifice and making sure there is nothing inside the valve or blocking the orifice.

Yep the Q200 in the early years notoriously had bad regulators that would do exactly what you describe

They are different. The Q100 Q200 has an offset
The straight one looks more like a standard bbq regulator. If the valve and input fitting can be unscrewed, there's a chance the parts will into a regular 11"wc bbq regulator.

Ah, then you will want to find a replacement or go with the bulk tank conversion. I do know that a new replacement regulator is expensive.
The Weber 64865 comes with the valve, orifice, and reg mounting bracket, so at least you may feel more like you're getting something for your money. The early Q's did not have the bracket but had a ring on the rear leg that supported the 14-oz bottles. The inlet fitting is swaged or cast in place. The bulk conversion would be the cheapest way to go.

Attachments

• Reg.png
    Reg.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks all. This does have the older style tank holder that I had to bend out to fit the green bottles. It's old but in great shape, but $65 shipped eesh. For what I use it for I don't want to convert to 20lb tank setup. I'll just cough up the money for a regulator !

Thanks guys. I actually just found my old post here of a Q200 I tossed, but saved the parts/burner/etc

Back