Weber premium lid holder.

M Andreyka

TVWBB Fan
I’ve been looking for a used 22”, I’ve noticed some that are listed as premium have lid holders and some don’t. When did they stop putting the lid holder on the premium?

You basically have three types of kettles, Silver which has just an open ash pan, then you have the Gold which has the enclosed ash bucket, both versions have a hook inside the lid that you hook on the side of the kettle. The third is what they call premium and it has the enclosed ash pan and the lid bail where you slide the lid into instead of hooking it on the side. Hope this helps!

You basically have three types of kettles, Silver which has just an open ash pan, then you have the Gold which has the enclosed ash bucket, both versions have a hook inside the lid that you hook on the side of the kettle. The third is what they call premium and it has the enclosed ash pan and the lid bail where you slide the lid into instead of hooking it on the side. Hope this helps!
It does but... they don’t list a gold anymore, just a original, premium and master touch
The new premium does not have the lid bail

Chech our this thread

https://tvwbb.com/threads/help-me-decide-premium-or-mt.84390/

So there is the Weber original 22 in kettle and the Weber premium 22 in kettle. The difference between these two is the in ash pan. I would not go without that ash pan. Both these two have the hook inside the lid to hang on the side of the kettle.
Next is the Master Touch 22 in kettle. The major differences are the lid bale, which I wouldn't want to live without, and it sits 4 inches higher. You also get the charcoal baskets, the GBS grate, and the warming rack. Last, is the Master Touch Premium which just come out this year, it has a true hinge and for low and slow a charcoal ring and deflector plate. I wish Weber would sell the charcoal ring and deflector plate separate but right now the only way to get it is when you buy the Master Touch Premium.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/master-touch-series/

The prices climb as you go through, however, there are many for sale used. I love my Master Touch, I wouldn't want to cook with the lid bale, or the ash catcher or the charcoal baskets, and being over six feet tall I love the extra hight. I do want that deflector plate and charcoal, but I have little hope that they will bring it out separate.

Last, here is an article from WCC on the history of the lid bale.

http://weberkettleclub.com/history/the-weber-master-touch-history/

MR thanks for the update. Whoa, when did kettles get so pricey. Like the improvements but I may have to bale out at the lower price. Hmmm, how well does the deflector plate etc. work compared to wsm.

Last edited:
Example... here is one listed on Craigslist. It’s a premium with a lid bale
Weber premium charcoal grill
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/d/aliso-viejo-weber-premium-charcoal-grill/7240744285.html
This one is a master touch. I am able to tell that because it has the larger wheels, the black handles not the gray, it has the lid bale, and one I forgot in my last post, the rubber handle on the lid vent. What is weird is that it does not the GBS grate, the warming rack, or the charcoal baskets. The owner may have switched out those with a original grate to keep that GBS or just to replace them. The "base" of this grill is absolutely a Mater Touch, just some of those removable bonuses are not included.

MR thanks for the update. Whoa when did kettles get so pricey. Like the improvements but I maybjave to bale out at the lower price. Hmm how wwll does the deflector plate etc. work compared to wsn.
Yes they do, I was able to get a nearly brand new, used Master Touch (less than a year old, used 5 times, keep indoors) for a little under a $100. I got my mind set on a Master Touch so I let a lot of nice used Premiums pass be by, and it took a little while longer, but I have been very happy that I was patient.
One of my goals this year is to learn to do low and slow on my Kettle to expand my abilities with both my grills. I keep looking at the slow n sear, but when I watch video of the Weber deflector plate and charcoal basket, I really would rather go that way. Check out this thread, the last post is a you tube video where he recreates the new Charcoal Ring and deflector plate, and then in a second video he let it go at 200 degrees and got 20 hours... I am really thinking about trying to recreate this DIY job this spring.

This one is a master touch. I am able to tell that because it has the larger wheels, the black handles not the gray, it has the lid bale, and one I forgot in my last post, the rubber handle on the lid vent. What is weird is that it does not the GBS grate, the warming rack, or the charcoal baskets. The owner may have switched out those with a original grate to keep that GBS or just to replace them. The "base" of this grill is absolutely a Mater Touch, just some of those removable bonuses are not included.
Thanks, I thought it looked like a MT but the grate threw me off. I’m going to ask him

You are 💯 correct, I zoomed in on the pic and the handles say master touch. I’m going to grab it , for $100 it has a $30 chimney and a $ 30-40 cover with it. Hopefully he has the extra grates too. Rich neighborhood

Damn it was already sold.
Damn, that sucks! Like I said earlier I love my Master Touch and I think it was worth the two extra months waiting to get my my hands on a used one while letting many premiums pass me by. Now that you have an awareness of what to look for the next time one come through you will be ready to jump on it. I would jump on any good shape Master Touch around $100!
I am not sure if you have used this page or if it will even be helpful, but I live in an area where you can be in 4 different state s within an hour drive so this helped me look at all those areas and I found one an hour away, had to drive out of PA, through MD, through WV, and into VA to get it .

Damn, that sucks! Like I said earlier I love my Master Touch and I think it was worth the two extra months waiting to get my my hands on a used one while letting many premiums pass me by. Now that you have an awareness of what to look for the next time one come through you will be ready to jump on it. I would jump on any good shape Master Touch around $100!
I am not sure if you have used this page or if it will even be helpful, but I live in an area where you can be in 4 different state s within an hour drive so this helped me look at all those areas and I found one an hour away, had to drive out of PA, through MD, through WV, and into VA to get it .

Thanks Michael, what do you know about this one? It has a lid bale and says he got it 2 years ago
Weber kettle 22”
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/d/newport-beach-weber-kettle-22/7244938544.html

Thanks Michael, what do you know about this one? It has a lid bale and says he got it 2 years ago
Weber kettle 22”
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/d/newport-beach-weber-kettle-22/7244938544.html

Check that thread out.

Weber had those limited edition kettles made in China. They seems to be of a lower quality than a standard kettle, but some folks have gotten lucky and had good luck with the red porcelain.

They actually still pop up for sale on Amazon from time to time, new ones.

I would not pay $100 for it, but it is a cool looking grill.

Check that thread out.

Weber had those limited edition kettles made in China. They seems to be of a lower quality than a standard kettle, but some folks have gotten lucky and had good luck with the red porcelain.

They actually still pop up for sale on Amazon from time to time, new ones.

I would not pay $100 for it, but it is a cool looking grill.
Thanks, after zooming in on some pics he sent me I’m definitely going to pass. It looks rough for only 2 years old and looks to have rust. Thanks!

Now is a good time to buy. Prices are about as low as you will see them, but not as much stuff for sale this time of year.

Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp are some other places you might want to search.

Back