Weber Master-Touch vs Ace Hardware Weber Premium

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Charfolks,
I have researched the major differences in Weber Master-Touch vs Premium kettles. I am sure this is other places in this community-
  • Master-Touch is about 2.5- 3 inches taller - most of this is in the leg pole lengths
    • Master -Touch specs
    • Dimensions - Lid Closed (inches) 42"H x 24"W x 29.5"D
    • Primary Cooking Area 363
    • Total Cooking Area = 443 ( this is cooking grate + the warming rack area
  • Master Touch has the Tuck Away Lid holder included
  • Master Touch has the "P-shaped vent holes" I don't think the Premium has the "P-shaped holes"
    • Both the Premium & Master Touch have On Touch Charcoal baskets with smoke setting-
  • Master -Touch comes with better cooking grates & a couple other accessories
Other than the actual kettle height , lid bale and "P-shaped vent holes" & a few upgrades in the cooking grates are the only differences.
I can see myself opting for a Crimson Red Weber Premium at Ace hardware ( I really like the red and dont much care for the master-Touch color options
I can always add a lid bale & a vent side Tel-Tru,

Does anyone here regret getting the Premium over the Master-Touch?

I personally consider the higher stance the number one improvement the Master Touch brings. I have a crimson and an Ace indigo that I both upgraded by substituting legs, handles, and triangle from used Master Touch grills I bought and resold with regular parts. Make sure you see the crimson before you buy it. Mine has a more matte finish that I don’t like as well. The indigo has a much nicer finish. I like the Ace indigo a lot more than the “deep ocean blue,” but that’s just my personal taste.

IMG_8087.jpeg

Hello Charfolks,
I have researched the major differences in Weber Master-Touch vs Premium kettles. I am sure this is other places in this community-
  • Master-Touch is about 2.5- 3 inches taller - most of this is in the leg pole lengths
    • Master -Touch specs
    • Dimensions - Lid Closed (inches) 42"H x 24"W x 29.5"D
    • Primary Cooking Area 363
    • Total Cooking Area = 443 ( this is cooking grate + the warming rack area
  • Master Touch has the Tuck Away Lid holder included
  • Master Touch has the "P-shaped vent holes" I don't think the Premium has the "P-shaped holes"
    • Both the Premium & Master Touch have On Touch Charcoal baskets with smoke setting-
  • Master -Touch comes with better cooking grates & a couple other accessories
Other than the actual kettle height , lid bale and "P-shaped vent holes" & a few upgrades in the cooking grates are the only differences.
I can see myself opting for a Crimson Red Weber Premium at Ace hardware ( I really like the red and dont much care for the master-Touch color options
I can always add a lid bale & a vent side Tel-Tru,

Does anyone here regret getting the Premium over the Master-Touch?
A few comments regarding the differences.

Both Master-Touch and Original Kettle Premium models have P-vents.
Master-Touch comes with 2 Char-Baskets, Original Kettle Premium does not have any Char-Baskets.

As Jon mentioned, the Crimson color is a matte finish. There are currently two other matte finish colors in the Weber Kettle world. Slate, and Burnt Orange, but those are not available on Original Kettle Premium models...only Master-Touch.

John Thanks.
Today I was at Ace hardware & I stumbled across a Crimson Premium on display. Most big box stores near me don't have the kettles on display.
This is the first newer version Premium I have seen out of the box.

As other have said ( Thanks Jon & John) , The premium does have the newer vent holes, & as you can see the ash catcher has the smoke markings.
The grates are definitely a cheaper lighter weight version. Color is alright, as the J's to the 2nd power pointed out,
the matte finish isn't a little underwhelming .. I would like a brighter red. but it does look nice.

1697219406052.jpeg 1697219475348.jpeg 1697219505621.jpeg1697219429001.jpeg

Last edited:
I personally consider the higher stance the number one improvement the Master Touch brings. I have a crimson and an Ace indigo that I both upgraded by substituting legs, handles, and triangle from used Master Touch grills I bought and resold with regular parts. Make sure you see the crimson before you buy it. Mine has a more matte finish that I don’t like as well. The indigo has a much nicer finish. I like the Ace indigo a lot more than the “deep ocean blue,” but that’s just my personal taste.

View attachment 80527

Nice pair.
Your Ace Hardware Crimson Premium has a black ash catcher pan , did you paint the ash can or is that also off one of your parted out Master Touch grills?

I read somewhere that doing the leg raise mod puts a little strain on the welded leg hole points, Do you notice that?

I have the Crate&Barrel 2015 Performer Deluxe in a bright blue. I would love a red Master-Touch to pair with it,
I would actually like convert a Standard Performer ( with fold down table ) to one with a Red kettle.

Since Master-Touch allows some customization, I wish they would offer the Premium color options in the custom Master-Touch color choices.

1697220067485.jpeg

I never really thought about the strain on the leg hole joints. I did think about the strain on my back leaning over a low regular kettle :coolkettle: !

I think my crimson may have come with that black ash pan, but I honestly can't remember. The color is original, however, not painted. I just went with it on the crimson one because I though the contrast was nicer with that color than the indigo.

I do salute Weber for offering a LOT more colors than they used to, and the option to customize. I don't know why crimson didn't make it to the option list. As I noted, though, for whatever reason, my crimson and at least one I have seen in a store lacks that slick, shiny feel that black, my indigo, and most other kettle colors have.

A few comments regarding the differences.

Both Master-Touch and Original Kettle Premium models have P-vents.
Master-Touch comes with 2 Char-Baskets, Original Kettle Premium does not have any Char-Baskets.

As Jon mentioned, the Crimson color is a matte finish. There are currently two other matte finish colors in the Weber Kettle world. Slate, and Burnt Orange, but those are not available on Original Kettle Premium models...only Master-Touch.
John,
We are very blessed to have you participate on the board. Your insights and firsthand knowledge help us get past hearsay and speculation. Thanks for being part of TVWBB.

I prefer the short legs on mine, & I no longer have to bend over when tending to the food!
Wait, the short legs allow you to NOT bend? I lifted my “Overperformer“ about four inches and my back is MUCH happier with the added height, when I do the SS gasser, I’ll add 3” to the legs, I don’t use it a lot but, I am 6’3” and the less bending I have to do with respect to cooking makes my back (and attitude) much happier. I like 39” counter height so, I use a couple of cutting boards to get that inside, I can tell if I’m working at someone else’s place with standard height counters!

The matte finish on crimson is either love or hate. I don’t mind it, bought the boy one for his 18th this summer and he’s happy.

I don’t think there’s any strain on the leg mounts. They are all welded the same to my knowledge, the legs are just longer. I personally much prefer the longer legs.

Those are awesome. Would make a good travel grill. Are those WSM legs?
Probably at least +10 years ago Cajun Bandit sold a conversion kit that would convert a kettle into a WSM, the legs were part of the kit. Sometime later after it was discontinued, I reached out to CB to see if I could purchase just the legs & I was lucky enough to buy 2 sets. Anyway, fast forward to the present time & I am finally getting to use them within my new set-up.

Wait, the short legs allow you to NOT bend? I lifted my “Overperformer“ about four inches and my back is MUCH happier with the added height, when I do the SS gasser, I’ll add 3” to the legs, I don’t use it a lot but, I am 6’3” and the less bending I have to do with respect to cooking makes my back (and attitude) much happier. I like 39” counter height so, I use a couple of cutting boards to get that inside, I can tell if I’m working at someone else’s place with standard height counters!
By bypassing the original kettle legs & adding this mod I can place both kettles on an outdoor kitchen island. Most kettle grill grate heights are around 30-31” high. As you can see by the picture the grill grate is at least 40” tall & me being 6’2” my back appreciates this.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpg
    IMG_5569.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 22
Second Jon's comment about the extra height being the main factor.

It was for me; built-in lid bale was a nice bonus. My width numbers are more impressive than height, but I still notice and appreciate the extra height.

I do like Ace colors, but fine with standard black.

By bypassing the original kettle legs & adding this mod I can place both kettles on an outdoor kitchen island. Most kettle grill grate heights are around 30-31” high. As you can see by the picture the grill grate is at least 40” tall & me being 6’2” my back appreciates this.
OK, NOW I see what’s going on, that’s is really an elegant set up, I like it! I’d better never move, it w take me years to get the set up “right“ again but, DANG, it would be cool as the other side of my pillow! You have all given me way more food for design ideas!

I never really thought about the strain on the leg hole joints. I did think about the strain on my back leaning over a low regular kettle :coolkettle: !

I think my crimson may have come with that black ash pan, but I honestly can't remember. The color is original, however, not painted. I just went with it on the crimson one because I though the contrast was nicer with that color than the indigo.

I do salute Weber for offering a LOT more colors than they used to, and the option to customize. I don't know why crimson didn't make it to the option list. As I noted, though, for whatever reason, my crimson and at least one I have seen in a store lacks that slick, shiny feel that black, my indigo, and most other kettle colors have.
Crimson, Copper, and Green got left out of Build Your Own Master-Touch (BYOMT) because it helps differentiate the Original Kettle Premium line from the Master-Touch. Adding those colors also would've added some extra complexity to the operations of the program as well. I wouldn't count out seeing certain colors move in and out of BYOMT over time.

As for why it's a matte finish, certain enamel color formulas, such as those required for a glossy version of crimson/red and burnt orange, can't be made in the US due to environmental regulations pertaining to the disposal of hazardous waste byproducts that are generated by using them. To make a glossy red or orange, you need cadmium in the formula, and we'd have to make the lids and bowls in those colors in China. I'd prefer to keep them made here in Huntley, Illinois.

John,

Thanks for that explanation. I feel better knowing the reasons and that I am not just crazy in what I see. I totally agree I would still rather have a "matte" crimson then export manufacture overseas. On the "Limited Editon Red" of a few years ago, that definitely did not work out well.

2 bad Red Kettles on sale at Home Depot.jpg

Back