weber knock off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw something almost exactly like it at Costco. Looked interesting but could not play around with it to get a feel for the quality.

It's a re-brand of the ProQ Excel 20 and made in China, nuff said, I hope
icon_smile.gif

Didn't Pro-Q make the stacker for the WSM? I noticed the videos are from Aug. of 08. Wonder how it compare to new 22. I did like the latch system though, add some wheels to it and it would be a lot easier to move around. Kinda like Paul did on his. Nice Mod

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
No mock here Mike, just like stuff made in North America,
Canada or the USA
icon_smile.gif

No doubt, I agree. Just happened to find this on Craigslist new for cheap so I couldn't resist. It was a bonus that it happens to perform really well will only 1 complaint. The access doors are a little small.

A WSM would be my first choice b/c of NA made if I ever needed another smoker.

My favorite part of the first video are:

The food grates are sitting on the ground. Not very clean.

The statement that Weber's been around for 150 years. I wonder if Civil War soldiers cooked barbecue on WSMs.

Bill

Originally posted by Shaun R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kinda like Paul did on his. Nice Mod
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> Shaun, Buddy, I'm so sorry, I certainly didn't mean to imply that your "Wheel Mod" isn't Nice. It is, and we talked talked about it on the phone, Remember? You know I'm going to jack those <span class="ev_code_RED">Red</span> wheels the first chance I get.
icon_biggrin.gif
My post was about the latches that tie all the pieces together. Add the wheels and you can move the WSM without it falling apart. Again, my humblest of apologies.

That's a pretty neat item. It does offer some nice features, and I like the modular 3-in-1 design. It's also $100 more than a WSM, so I'm not sure it qualifies as a "cheap knockoff".

It is very well made, not the cheap thin material used in some of the ProQ WSM stackers that you see on eBay. Yes it's a rebranded ProQ Excel 20 but it's way better quality then some of their other offerings (eg. ProQ Frontier).

The retail price in Canada for $399, got lucky and found a new one on Craigslist for $250 last summer.

It's 20" in diameter and the portable grill configuration would be comparable to a SJP. Brought it to the cottage to smoke and grill pretty much all our meals, great versatility IMO.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Your mod is great, too, Shaun.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Mac wrote:

"Shaun, Buddy, I'm so sorry, I certainly didn't mean to imply that your "Wheel Mod" isn't Nice. It is, and we talked talked about it on the phone, Remember? You know I'm going to jack those Red wheels the first chance I get. My post was about the latches that tie all the pieces together. Add the wheels and you can move the WSM without it falling apart. Again, my humblest of apologies."

You guys are funny. Thanks!
icon_wink.gif
I have a few other mods planned, just no time for them these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back