Weber kettle temperature gauge placement

Garvin R

TVWBB Super Fan
I think we can all agree that Weber should have never gone away from this gauge placement, this is a 2012 kettle and I love where the gauge is versus the vent?
25BADBEC-D64F-4A78-9860-E8F3676FA586.jpeg

I have an SnS kettle, but nonetheless, I installed a gauge like this on my old Weber kettle after seeing Chud do it to his. When I cook indirect, I prefer to crack the lid just a bit on the meat side with the top vent closed. Gauge is on the meat side. This forces all the hot air (and smoke) to pass right by the meat, the gauge, and out the crack.

Using my Weber Performer Deluxe over the last three(3) years I have zeroed-in that the Temperature Gauge is around FIFTY(50) Degrees less than the reading showing on the dial. I grill a lot of chicken on my WPD at around a 500F reading on the Temperature Dial which is around 450F at grill-level in my estimation.

Last edited:
when I use my SnS the temp gauge is over it so If im concerned about indirect temp I put a second stem gauge in one of the exhaust holes....if I remember correctly its generally 100 degrees cooler at exhaust vs stock gauge temp reading

I've been using my performer long enough not to worry about it. I place the charcoal on the right side and chicken or pork chops on an elevated grate on the opposite side. The vent is directly over the meat. Normally I use about 50/50 new to used charcoal with my large chimney full. It's more than I need. I set the lower vent to about 1/3 open and after about 45 minutes everything is done. I'll use a leave in thermometer to tell me when I reach 155-160F. I'm essentially cooking like an oven.

I just use the thermometer gauge to tell me if the grill cooling down or heating up but I seldomly look at it anymore.

Back