Weber Grill Platinum Series II - $95 (Forest Lake MN)

I am kinda "cooling off" just bought a "new" garden tractor as my old one was close to 60 yo and parts have about dried up to the point I would have to buy used parts for it. So I needed a hydraulic lift cylinder only could find another 60 yo one, blades for the deck again no longer made and could not adapt others as the jack shafts were changed and new shafts did not fit old deck and new blades did not fit old shafts. So it was time to part with the long time companion. When I bought it 28 years ago I was able to ascertain through a dealer it was somewhere between a 1959 and a 1962 but he felt it was a 1961. I did put a new larger engine on it a few days after my youngest daughter was born, rebuilt a PTO and one gear box and for the last 28 years has been a faithful servant. Doing everything, plowing snow, blowing snow, rototilling, grading dirt and gravel not to mention mowing. In 28 years it only needed 1 spark plug, 1 battery, and maybe 4 new mower deck bearings and 2 jack shafts plus a few belts. Otherwise just normal oil changes and greasing.

SKCp1u3.jpg

de2KJOn.jpg

I was going to buy a Kubota diesel Lawn Tractor from a guy but research showed there to be a fairly fatal and EXPENSIVE weak link on it the Hydrostatic Transmission on many would suffer a horrific front bearing failure requiring a $2000 repair. So I found this one

It's as near as I can tell about a 2000 Simplicity Sovereign tractor. The dealership upgraded the engine to a Kohler Command Pro 20 under warranty from an 18 HP Kohler "Triad" overhead cam which had some kind of oiling issues and tended to self destruct. This machine is very similar to my old one with much of the same very rugged technology only upgraded and bigger. Extended wheelbase, expanded track to handle larger 48" vs 42" mower deck, heavy duty Sundstrand built hydrostatic transmission. You can really feel the size difference when trying to maneuver it around, but, it steers very easily and since it's hydro the wife can give my COPD and allergies some relief and with the much larger deck that actually cuts it's full width now mowing is done in MUCH less time. So we shall see how this goes

235ZS9f.jpg

Anyway I spent a little more moola on this than I was planning for the Kubota so grills have to be on hold I think

There was nothing wrong with the Allis Chalmers. I can't see even one piece of bailing wire or duct tape on that thing.
But, anyways, it looks like you got a strong and capable replacement. It already has the wheel weights for snow plowing.

Yep, though I sadly had fully expected I would be buying the Kubota and so I sold ALL my accessories with the old machine which would have fit the new machine so I will not be plowing snow LOL. Besides, the only thing I have to clear now is the driveway you saw, and, my little Honda HS621 snow blower clears that just fine and actually quicker than the big machine used to. So honestly all I need is an effective mower (and yes this Simplicity is WAY overkill LOL). The Kubota was the perfect replacement for me. Smaller, easier to handle and get on and off, etc. This big simplicity is a chore to get on and off as it is much larger (wider and taller) than that old Allis was (and I don't move like I used to 28 years ago either). Honestly the guy that bought it came ready to buy it. He had a big F350 with a large enclosed trailer behind and he drove nearly 2 hours to get here. It honestly was an excellent machine and had I been able to get the parts needed to keep it going (blades, drive belt tensioner system for the deck, hydraulic lift) I think I would have kept it another 28 years (or been buried with it). We always joked it was my daughter's twin brother since they were "born" about the same time LOL. The tires on the old machine were so "stiff" from age that you could fully deflate them and they still held the weight of the machine up without flattening LOL.
But, time moves on and sometimes ya gotta do the same

Sorry guys, too late. I picked this up today. I blame all of you, too. I came here a couple of weeks ago looking for some Gen B parts and got sucked into buying this worn down but not out Platinum Series II Greenhead.

When they said the grates were rusted (they weren't kidding, clean through) I figured based on what I've seen on mine and others here I assumed most other internals would be shot and I was right. FBs are actually in the best shape but will still get replaced. I was surprised to see how many there were - more $ :/. Burners are toast as is the wood chip box, or at least has a good start (I presume that's what it is).

As you can see the frame has one rusty spot on the leg but not rotted through yet.

I gave $50 for it. Considering it needs everything inside and the igniter, it could have/should have been a curb pickup.

Like I need another project.

Nice one! So will this be a flip or a keeper?
Well I really don't need another gas grill unless I decide I want it at work, which we already have one there but this I could call my own. I might have to get through it and see how much I sunk into it, maybe give it a test drive and see how it cooks and then make a decision.

Being the first one I'll have really dove into I'm sure I'll have more $ in supplies (paint, misc tools I decide I must have etc) that wouldn't be as much if I get more flippers in the future.

I do have plans (or should I say SWMBO has plans) for me to put a patio in the backyard that may need to be adorned with a grill.

Scott,
Where are you at in Wisconsin. I am down by the Wisconsin Dells.

Prescott / River Falls area

Came with a tank too. There's $20 right there, empty.

Yup, solid deal. If it was up to me then I would fix it up and keep it as it's one of those older style grills that you don't see too many of when comparing to the older 1000-5000 and Silver/Golds and you also have a closed cart that still looks functional and repairable. The internals are easily replaceable. Burners are cheap and, if you can, replace the bars and grates with RC's and you'll have not only a long lasting grill but an exclusive grill as well as they are not common. There are a lot of restoration threads on that grill, here's one that Jeff MA did and it came out great...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66377-Genesis-Platinum-Series-II-Restoration-started

Scott,

It's definitely a project, but that one is worth the effort. My Weberitous might kick in if I had the opportunity to restore that one:eek:! An unusual Platinum like that has great potential and wouldn't be just another run of the mill grill if restored properly.

You will enjoy at least some of the journey and I am sure the final results. Great score!

Yup, solid deal. If it was up to me then I would fix it up and keep it as it's one of those older style grills that you don't see too many of when comparing to the older 1000-5000 and Silver/Golds and you also have a closed cart that still looks functional and repairable. The internals are easily replaceable. Burners are cheap and, if you can, replace the bars and grates with RC's and you'll have not only a long lasting grill but an exclusive grill as well as they are not common. There are a lot of restoration threads on that grill, here's one that Jeff MA did and it came out great...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66377-Genesis-Platinum-Series-II-Restoration-started

Thanks for that link Sam. That'll be extremely helpful! After getting mine home and giving it a cursory once over I noticed some pretty good rot on the left side frame crossmember by the firebox. I was concerned about that but it seems he was able to easily replace that part.

After seeing that thread (I've only read the first couple of pages so far) I'm pretty excited about this project and looking forward to the end result.

Once I get focused on that I'll start a thread on the project.

Scott,
First off welcome to the Forum.
The guys here are more than helpful and very knowledgeable so if you have a question feel free to ask.

For $50 you did very well so if you decide to keep it or sell it you'll be ahead of the game. The parts of your grill are shared with most 1000-5000 series Weber's so besides a few unique items they are easily obtainable.

The grill that Sam Bee linked you to (Platinum Series II 3200) is mine and still looks as good as the day I restored it nearly two years ago so that is a true testament to what Weber used to produce back in the day.

That left side cross member near the firebox that is rusted out was rusted out on mine as well and it a easily replaceable item. As of today ereplacement.com has three in stock. The part # is 97231 and it is under $14. Several other vendors stock it as well.

One benefit on your Platinum 3400 frame that you have is that the over sized Summit frame used is bolted together with 1/4" x 20 bolts that connect with welded tabs on the frame rails. Even that rusted out cross member bolts onto the frame so it's a matter of taking out two screws and slapping that piece in and you're as good as new. The other Genesis grills of that era are welded together making it a much harder fix.

If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask me.

Have fun!
Jeff

Last edited:
Yep it looks like a nice one to make into a keeper as I don't think if you restore to flip many folks would realize what it is.

Back