Weber Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum B LEGO Build

My new frame is in good shape for the most part. For those of you that have been down this road before I have a question.

Would you spray Rustoleum High Heat Ultra over this area of the frame without rust reformer? I have Rustoleum Rust Reformer on hand. I’m afraid the rust reformer might cause the Ultra to fail prematurely because it’s right next to the cook box and may not be good for high heat applications. Thanks for any tips you might have. I’d like to get this right the first time.

EB7F1697-A923-4B4B-9076-B2FA271FF77C.jpeg

You will have to patch in a couple frame members when you remove the cabinet.

Get rid of all the rust and just spray the High Heat ultra over it, or you can buy rustoleum 2000 primer if you want to go that route. But, no don't spray any non heat rated stuff on that part of the frame.

Thanks for tips. Kinda what I was thinking on the paint.

Bruce I already got the frame broke down with the cabinet removed. Where do the frame members go? Seems pretty solid with the rack in there

You are probably missing the front and back bottom bars. There really needs to be bars on each side and front and back on the bottom.

Similar to this grill that had a cabinet. Only yours will be black.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG

Ah! I see what you are saying Bruce. This frame from the 2005 Gold B I’m using is nearly identical to the the 2002 Gold B frame I trashed but salvaged the lower rack from. The rack is a very rigid and heavy steel frame that snaps in place on the two shorter lower 1” braces and those two longer braces aren’t required. The 02 Gold B frame didn’t have them. It’s rock solid. The only modification I had to do was drill two holes for the bolts the propane bottle rests on. Items 53 and 56.

190CB0C5-F96C-415A-9125-500D77CFEE12.jpeg

Yep, some of those wire bottom racks are designed to replace the two cross members. But, if it is simply a drop in rack or no rack, those legs will take a lot of flexing pressure when you wheel it around. The extra legs or wire rack binds the 2 legs into 4 for a much more sturdy frame.

Alright fellas I got a decision to make.

Do I put in a deeper cook box with 13 FB’s from a Genesis 1100 or do I put in the single row cook box from a Genesis silver? I have both on hand sandblasted and ready for paint.

I am putting on the blue Genesis Silver hood.

Branden: THe boxes are not interchangeable. You cannot swap them like you do lids without some significant modification to the frames.

Check out this cart I LEGO’d together. Gonna be perfect for my Q200 and outdoor burner. Just need to get another thermoset table without the rounded front so it matches the other 3.

1BE2BBB5-6906-4D70-94E8-1CA4961C5C5A.jpeg

Anybody know what size screw this is? They hold the burner tubes in place and they also hold the drip tray rails. I want to order some in stainless but not sure of the size.

7D5EACF8-5AA8-41D2-A897-8B7CD59D8F76.jpeg

Might be best off just taking it to a big box store and comparing it. You cannot afford ones that are longer or wider.

I was trying to avoid a trip. Can’t make it for a few days.
If only Weber used SS hardware and frame tubing in all their grills.

If they did that, we would be paying a lot more for them. Besides, these old Genesis grills last a heck of a lot longer than those Chinesium tin cans that are supposed to be all SS.

You do know that you really are not supposed to be removing the burner tube holder screws, right? I know a lot of people do and it is good yours came out without twisting off.

I am sorry, but I don't know the exact size of those screws, but I should probably grab a bunch of them. Post up here if you find out.

Yes I learned the hard way with those screws. I’ve removed them from 4 cook boxes now and snapped 2 of them. On those boxes I drilled them out and tapped with 1/4-20 threads.

Got the lid on but I’m not happy with the fish eyes in the paint on the end caps. I cleaned the heck out these and did a final wipe with lacquer thinner and still this showed up. Might try a quick wet sand with some 600 paper and spray another coat.

B95DFFC5-2139-4657-958F-4601C11F7D9E.jpeg
5DED1F04-1C0C-44CE-A9B7-86C4148DA938.jpeg995ABA9F-7574-4BC9-9F17-B5162A4A724F.jpeg5F7C13EF-8010-4700-B664-726E9A1C0DBA.jpeg

Back