Weber Genesis Platinum C - New to me - Thoughts appreciated

Nerkalis

Hello All. First post as I am new to this Q community. I recently acquired a classic Weber Genesis Platinum C. Grabbed for $60 off local ad and got it home.

Was a NP model and I had some parts from old to convert without much hassle. Even added a tank holder to the outside from a Weber Genesis Silver I demoted. Funny enough the indicators face backwards now, but there are openings on the scale so just used a paint pen and marked IIII,III,II, and I between slots and shows level perfect at a glance.

No major rust except the grates, which I sources a set of 7mm stainless for cheap. As I find material at job, may beef these to thicker, but that will be some time as metals aren't getting tossed at the rate of old if you follow. And imagine this, the igniter works no help needed. Never had me a fancy click starter before.

I was looking around and see the conversations on flavor bars and how some say this model needs two high to fix the hot cold issue at the grate. Anyone have any comment to that? I found rcplanebuyeron on eBay and seems several folks here swear by his work. And thicker is better in my book, so asked if he could sell a set of eight top flavor bars to assist. Still intrested in yalls opinion on this though.

And the cabinet, uprights, supports, base and plastics aside are all in excellent condition. Some simple green and bleach took the grime off and shined it almost new. Even came with a official original Weber cover, though has some holes, obviously works so cleaned and will put on after it dries out again.

Also curious how folks use/feel about the hanging/swinging grates in hood. Drums and spuds only?

Anyway, stopping in to say hello and hear what you all think.

Attachments

• 20220501_125507_resized_1.jpg
    20220501_125507_resized_1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220501_125510_resized_1.jpg
    20220501_125510_resized_1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220501_124756_resized_1.jpg
    20220501_124756_resized_1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220501_122020_resized_1.jpg
    20220501_122020_resized_1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220501_122029_resized_1.jpg
    20220501_122029_resized_1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 37
Welcome. Looks like a nice find.

If it were me, I'd mount the tank on the outside like the Silver C / Gold C style. I find it easier to get a tank on and off the hanger and also easier to turn the gas on and off.

As far as flavorizer bars, can you measure one? They may be the same as a Silver / Gold.

As far as a second row of flav bars, it doesn't look like that cookbox is setup for a second row

Forgot to mention the super amazing upgrade I do to all premade cabinet cookers, the child lock strap. I truly hate that for the money paid on these units the manufacturer couldn't supply a decent rare earth magnet to stop the doors from being ajar. Even if a little, drives me nuts and these straps hold up and stay bright for a long time. Better than the ole bungee cord that broke down after one hot season.

Welcome. Looks like a nice find.

If it were me, I'd mount the tank on the outside like the Silver C / Gold C style. I find it easier to get a tank on and off the hanger and also easier to turn the gas on and off.

As far as flavorizer bars, can you measure one? They may be the same as a Silver / Gold.

As far as a second row of flav bars, it doesn't look like that cookbox is setup for a second row
I did mount on exterior under side cooker. Factory holes and no issue other than displays scale backwards. As mentioned, a paint pen fixed that.

The flavorizer bars needed would be 15 7/8", and eight needed to make the second row on top of the five 23 3/8" factory. Wasn't a factory option, but saw a thread here for a 2002 Genesis Silver "C" model and was wondering if could do the same with this box?

Nice grill, and welcome to the forum! You can do whatever you want, but your grill was designed to only use five flavorizer bars. You would have to just lay the extra bars on top of the original ones which is not how it worked on the older 13 bar genesis models. Those had a cookbox that was deeper and had a place for all the bars to sit independently.

Nice grill, and welcome to the forum! You can do whatever you want, but your grill was designed to only use five flavorizer bars. You would have to just lay the extra bars on top of the original ones which is not how it worked on the older 13 bar genesis models. Those had a cookbox that was deeper and had a place for all the bars to sit independently.
I am seeing your point. I was just looking to see if could hot rod a little. Guess this was ready to go off the showroom floor. Dialed in the LP, added a scale, got new grates and time to catch fire. Madden voyage is #10 jerked untrimmed chicken leg quarters. Wanna see where the sizzle and smoke is on this rig while seasoning the grates with a no nonsense simple show your metal meal.

I have an old Genesis with 13 bars, and have also had a Silver B. The old ones (like mine) have a much deeper firebox, and the flavorizer bars sit in the firebox perched along the side just like yours, but on the older ones there is another level on top of that, so those don't touch the ones underneath. I'm not sure what would happen what with airflow and all that engineering stuff if you just laid extras on top. Plus, they will be REALLY close to the grates that way, which I would think would not be the best thing.

Then again, who knows?

I have an old Genesis with 13 bars, and have also had a Silver B. The old ones (like mine) have a much deeper firebox, and the flavorizer bars sit in the firebox perched along the side just like yours, but on the older ones there is another level on top of that, so those don't touch the ones underneath. I'm not sure what would happen what with airflow and all that engineering stuff if you just laid extras on top. Plus, they will be REALLY close to the grates that way, which I would think would not be the best thing.

Then again, who knows?
I think you and Steve are in the know here. In my excitement of getting the new toy I congered a was to add more power where more power was not needed. This excitement steams from when I discovered just how amazing diffusion plates are in smokers and ran into the shop and torched up a 1/4" plate to add to my rig. Best addition ever to my stick burner. Was hoping to recreate some of that magic in this ole cast metal can. But if it isn't needed, then no need right. thanks for jumping in. I appreciate the support in my Q addiction. I have been known to move faster than thought just cause lol.

I've been trying to learn patience for a long time, and I think it will never be caught!

In any event, it also depends on how you want to cook with the grill too. Sounds like you made a pretty cool device for the smoker, and have access to some metalworking which is a lot different than what I have access to.

But if you do any experiments, just take pictures and show them to us, we love those!

I did mount on exterior under side cooker. Factory holes and no issue other than displays scale backwards. As mentioned, a paint pen fixed that.

The flavorizer bars needed would be 15 7/8", and eight needed to make the second row on top of the five 23 3/8" factory. Wasn't a factory option, but saw a thread here for a 2002 Genesis Silver "C" model and was wondering if could do the same with this box?
Yes, Silver C/B flavorizer bars will fit the Platinum cook box.

Back