Weber Genesis Full Griddle Insert - Best Material For One?

SteveUK

TVWBB Member
It looks like I have 3 options for a full Weber Griddle insert for my Weber Genesis 335

Weber US version is made of Carbon Steel
Stanbroil version is made of Stainless Steel
Weber UK version is made of Porcelain Coated Cast Iron Standard fare for Weber accessories (GBS or Crafted) like this in the UK

Living in the Uk I would have to import the first 2 for around the same cost of the Weber UK Porcelain Coated Cast iron version, here in the uk.

Just wondering what people think would be my best option to buy, if they have any experience of the 3 listed and what they're like to maintain, clean after use and heat retention etc

Assuming also the US Genesis 335 is the same as the UK version (different part numbers) but as your still imperial measurements and were metric on relevant Weber sites, difficult to be 100% sure that the US stuff is compatible with the equivalent UK Gas ones also?

US version 335 https://www.weber.com/US/en/gas/genesis/genesis-e-335-gas-grill/35410001.html
UK version 335 https://www.weber.com/GB/en/gas-barbecues/genesis/genesis-e-335-gas-barbecue/35410074.html

Although using Google inches to cms conversion they look very very close in measurments for the Weber US version Full Griddle insert to the UK version one and I assume the UK one has been rounded up/down to the nearest 1/10th decimal point in cm

I am a little wary of the Stanbroil as it looks slightly larger than the US Weber version, according to the measurements they gave me when I messaged them

Stanbroil 1.5"H x 26"W x 18.5"D
Weber US 1.19"H x 25.67"W x 18.67"D

But not sure if Stanbroil were being lazy and rounded up or down the the nearest .5 or 0 or they are actually accurate measurements? Although if anyone owns the Stanbroil I would be grateful if you can confirm the measurements (cms preferably) if possible

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have any of these griddles to measure for you, but I can tell you this. The only probable differences in your particular grill and the US spec one relate to the differences in your propane tanks and their fittings. The grill itself should be identical and anything that fits the US version should also fit the UK one.

I don't have any of these griddles to measure for you, but I can tell you this. The only probable differences in your particular grill and the US spec one relate to the differences in your propane tanks and their fittings. The grill itself should be identical and anything that fits the US version should also fit the UK one.
100% correct. My advice is buy into the weber crafted system, it offers good flexibility. The UK/Europe griddle is porcelain enamelled and the US one is carbon steel, why the difference I dont know but i have a hunch!!

100% correct. My advice is buy into the weber crafted system, it offers good flexibility. The UK/Europe griddle is porcelain enamelled and the US one is carbon steel, why the difference I dont know but i have a hunch!!

Thanks for the replies, think I'm going to pull the plug on the Stanbroil one for my 2022 Genesis 335 as Amazon seem to have a 15% coupon off for Stanbroil products at the moment. Even with shipping works out cheaper than the Weber Porcelain enamelled version we get over here. I have the half sized crafted version already, but it feels a bit restrictive in size when cooking for larger numbers. Never cooked on a S/S surface before, but from reading up on it seems easy enough to maintain and clean. I'm sure it is, just hoping it is a good fit on my grill.

I can't speak to your specific questions, but stainless steel is one of the poorest conductors of heat (among various metals). Stainless steel skillets are so bad that they usually include a bright metal (aluminum or copper) sandwich layer to even out the heat.

Cast iron, on the other hand, is very good at conducting heat.

Never cooked on a S/S surface before, but from reading up on it seems easy enough to maintain and clean. I'm sure it is, just hoping it is a good fit on my grill.
I have been using stainless steel grates on my Genesis 1000 grill for about twenty years now and would never go back to cast iron or porcelain coated. That griddle looks like a great choice and is heavy enough that it should do very well at cooking. Really the only concern I have with griddle inserts is too much heat building up in the cook box and damaging it but that fear may be unfounded. Let us know how you like it.

I have been using stainless steel grates on my Genesis 1000 grill for about twenty years now and would never go back to cast iron or porcelain coated. That griddle looks like a great choice and is heavy enough that it should do very well at cooking. Really the only concern I have with griddle inserts is too much heat building up in the cook box and damaging it but that fear may be unfounded. Let us know how you like it.
Steve,
I will always have a place in my heart for non-coated (or at least non-chipping coated) cast iron, but I have to agree stainless rods work well and are a lot less effort and worry!

IMG_5740.jpeg

I think your concerns about excess heat being trapped under a full length griddle insert are very valid. I have used GrillGrate grates on and off and worried about that with using them to cover the entire grill. When I bought my second set - for a 2-burner Silver A - I decided to forgo getting the extra narrow grate that would have covered all of the grill in order to allow for some “breathing room.”

I have seen some griddle inserts that seem to have ventilation holes across their length. Maybe that would help.

I'm definitely not bashing anyone who likes the cast iron or porcelain coated grates. To each his own for sure on that one. The griddle that @SteveUK is looking at does have ventilation slots in it, should help.Screenshot_20240226-195415.png

Back