Weber Genesis 1000...I think rebuild and need some help.

Wayne Carter

Started to take it apart tonight and the screws that hold the burners in are deteriorated that bad you can barley tell they are screws.

Damaged screw removal kit would not work.
Getting in with a dremel was a no go, smaller blade may work.

Any advice?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144391884@N07/30593305206/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144391884@N07/30593305386/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144391884@N07/30593305516/in/dateposted-public/

Grills look good but want to paint the firebox.

Other issue so far is the regulator leaks from the pin hole. Is it gone or can it be fixed?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144391884@N07/30593304836/in/dateposted-public/

Wayne,
This is a common with older Webers. The tubes will slip out without removal of the screws as they are in a "U" channel so you are good in that regard.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Burners are out and look to be in good shape.

Should the firebox be connected to the frame on the right side, the one I have is not and do not see really where it would?

Wayne,
The firebox is connected to the left frame rail with one bolt,on my two restores it was a 1/4"x20 about 2 1/4" long. It just rests on the right side rail over by where the manifold bolts up.

Sounds like you need a new Hose/Regulator assemble, make sure you get the one that screws into the manifold with a 1/8" NPT end. Weber's part # is 62565 or #7503. Cost around $20-$25 dollars.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks again sir, much appreciated!

Off to Home Depot today to get some simple green and see what they have for replacement parts.

I have a propane manifold and hose that does not leak. I just converted my Genesis 1000 to natural gas. You are welcome to my old manifold so long as you pay for shipping. The manifold and hose will solve your problem completely.

Just let me know.

Tim

I'd rather give it to someone who's going to use it than anything else. People on here have helped me too, how do you think I got the manifold for the NG conversion? What goes around comes around.

Ordered all my parts today, regulator, stainless steel flavorisor bars, warming basket and warming rack. Cost was $155 cdn from Weber.

Tim, I will take you up on your offer, was going to order a manifold as I am suspect of it but could not prove it. The spare parts if not needed are a bonus!

Thank you for the offer/help!

Ps if I end up not needing them will make the same offer as you did!

Last edited:
Wayne, I'll box it up and get you the cost to ship it.

One way to test your current manifold for gas leaks is to put some water into a spray bottle, then add a little liquid soap. Spray the manifold down. If you have bubbles, you have leaks. You can test yours that way, and then in a short while your new manifold shall arrive!

I did paint the fire box. First scraped it down with a wire brush attachment on a drill, got the crud off the best I could. Uses rust oleum BBQ high heat, good up to 1200 F. Gave it two coats.

The wood took some elbow grease. The fold out tray just needed a sanding but the main tray had a lot of grease. I uses a 3 blade dewalt plainer at a two blade rough and 80 grit sandpaper on the main tray. All the wood then got a water based cedar coat Sansin for decks and two coats of an oil based poly by minwax.

Last edited:
I did, after a 1 hr bake at 650 and a second 1 hr bake I have no smoke or smell/smoke as new.

Second person to ask the question. What is the issue with that?

As a note the inside paint was completed under the instruction of someone who builds custome smoke pits. This BBQ will not see it's first cook until May 2017.

Honestly I would not ever paint the inside regardless of what any "so-called" expert says. DIY style paints are something you can never be sure of for safety. In case you're wondering too the inside of the lid is not "paint" in the sense you think of paint. It is a porcelain coating (basically a glass coating) so is completely safe. The aluminum fire box is quite porous so I doubt once paint soaks into it there is no way to truly make it safe.

I think most people clean but don't paint the inside, it's just not necessary. But I'm not in a position to claim any sort of health issue.

I think the old gassers had only the outside of the firebox painted black and the inside was unpainted. Today the new gassers appear to have inside and outside powdercoated in a gray color

Back