Weber Genesis 1000 EO 1995 Side Table Wood Slats

While the oak is pretty, I think Cedar is by far a better choice for outdoor use. If you choose the boards carefully, you can come out with some pretty nice grained and colored cedar. A nice stain and finish and you have something that hold up well in the outdoors.

Jeff, I'm almost positive you could find suitable cedar 1x2s at your local Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice...-ft-Actual-0-75-in-x-1-5-in-x-8-ft/1000092913

Oak 1x2s should also be available but they are pricey.

JKim,
You're 100% correct, I must have missed them while checking their webpage. Thanks!

I just visited my local Lowes and proceeded to check each and every one of them, 64 to be exact. Not fun.

I had a nice little pile on the floor and several sales associates gave me the stink eye but I grabbed more than enough for this project as well as maybe two more. I don't want to have to go checking each piece one-by-one again.

I brought my Digital Vernier Caliper with me and what I did notice is while the width is all the same there were many there that were thicker than others.I grabbed several that were .700 and grabbed several more that were .800. I will see which ones I prefer once I start assembling them on the Z-brackets.

I have two Weber complete wood sets and one shelf assemble already and where they all measure anywhere from 15 3/16"-15 1/4" length all three have a different thickness- (.650/.680/.710) and they all look original to the grills so there was probably some variance over the years or shrinkage that naturally occurs.

Jeff

I'm looking forward to the pics, Jeff!

I have a stalled Genesis 2 rehab project that I have purchased the same Lowe's cedar strips for... and I had also purchased some oak strips to replace Durawood pieces on what I thought was a keeper Genesis 1000. I have unexpectedly decided to sell the 1000 to a coworker who is very appreciative of the RCP FBs and grates and he's looking forward to using the grill.

I guess I'll hold on to the oak strips for another project.

Jeff: I made a trip earlier this spring that took me past a Lowes. I dropped in and picked up six of the 1x2 boards. I have not redone a wood Genny 1000 yet but I have couple in my inventory. They are definitely thicker than the fence slats but I figure a little time with the orbital sander will them in line. Also, I think that sticking up above the metal z brackets a slight bit will be a good thing.

2 inches by 4 inches.....Aren't they on the metric system over there? :D

They still have some odd ball measures there. They use MPH and KPH and MPG and pounds and ounces in addition to stone and kilo

JKim,
You're 100% correct, I must have missed them while checking their webpage. Thanks!

I just visited my local Lowes and proceeded to check each and every one of them, 64 to be exact. Not fun.

I had a nice little pile on the floor and several sales associates gave me the stink eye but I grabbed more than enough for this project as well as maybe two more. I don't want to have to go checking each piece one-by-one again.

I brought my Digital Vernier Caliper with me and what I did notice is while the width is all the same there were many there that were thicker than others.I grabbed several that were .700 and grabbed several more that were .800. I will see which ones I prefer once I start assembling them on the Z-brackets.

I have two Weber complete wood sets and one shelf assemble already and where they all measure anywhere from 15 3/16"-15 1/4" length all three have a different thickness- (.650/.680/.710) and they all look original to the grills so there was probably some variance over the years or shrinkage that naturally occurs.

Jeff

The Lowes posting link I have above not sure what the HD is are $4.32 per 8 footer. They are in the specialty lumber section where the clear pine is and yes I was not worried about the thickness since the orbital sander on the unfinished side would get you where you need to be. As I stated mine sit a bit below the z-bars not above. Jeff I had to go thru about 30 of them as I did not want any knots to get the ones I wanted.

My oak 1 x 2's stick up a little over the z brackets and they look just fine. I like it actually because nothing scratches the metal.

I have found that the oak (and cedar) 1 X 2 boards from Lowes and Home Depot are the right width but are thicker and do stand up over the edge of the z bars. My friend said he could use the planer we have at our organization's wood shop and get them down to the original size. That sounds like what I will try, but I am not sure it is really that big of a deal.

I guess if you want new slats to be identical in size to the old ones you either have to rip as Bruce suggests or plane as my friend suggests. It makes you wonder where Weber got their wood from. I do know they were pretty clever with their early offerings such as the "Seville" redwood cart - a forerunner of the Performer. If you look at the design, virtually EVERYTHING was made out of redwood 1X4 boards. Just cut parts to length and screw it all together. That's manufacturing cleverness ala Henry Ford. Way to go George!:george:

Last edited:
Yah, planing the cedar boards would be ideal, but, like you, if they rise above the Z brackets an 1/8", it wouldn't bother me at all. One of these days, I will get to another Genesis 1000 and actually use some of those Lowes boards I have in the garage. But I will just sand down the rough side a bit and cut them to length and be done with it. The average joe wouldn't know the difference and I kind of like the idea of the boards being slightly above the metal z brackets anyway.

Back