Weber Fire Starter Cubes

I am also sold on the cubes. Like Wolgast most of the time I will just put them under a few chunks of lump and have my fire
going in no time at all.

I used them until I discovered it was much easier and faster to use the side burner on the genesis...................d

I have a boatload of the cubes that I inherited from somewhere years ago. (Not weber) I use them when there's no newspaper handy. They work like a charm.i think they are naphtha because they're not wrapped and they don't lose their flammability .

I like them and buy a bunch at the end of season closeouts. I'm a little confused here tho.. You have a Performer with Gas assist and you still need to add a starter media of some type to the chimney??

Tim

My Performer doesn't have gas-assist for some reason and it is fairly new. I didn't even know about it before I bought it or I would've probably spent the extra if it wouldn't have been too much more. I kind of like not having it though, I'm sure it's nice but I like taking my time and not using any gas at all when I cook on my charcoal grill. When I am in a hurry I'll use my gasser to grill up stuff fast, but with these cubes I really don't know if that will happen much. I'm just not gonna grill if I can't take my time and use the Performer.

The one thing I don't like on the Weber Cubes is the foil and the stray bits of paraffin wax that drops out on the ground. I have dogs which I love and that bothers me when they try to lick that up.

Tim

I use the cubes all time. This is also my biggest problem with cubes. My screen porch is stained from all those bits of paraffin. I have learned to open them over the grill/chimney, move them under the chimney then light. That way all those little chunks are going to be burned up the grill. As long as I don't have too many pre-grillin' beers its a lot less messy.

-rog

My Performer doesn't have gas-assist for some reason and it is fairly new. I didn't even know about it before I bought it or I would've probably spent the extra if it wouldn't have been too much more. I kind of like not having it though, I'm sure it's nice but I like taking my time and not using any gas at all when I cook on my charcoal grill. When I am in a hurry I'll use my gasser to grill up stuff fast, but with these cubes I really don't know if that will happen much. I'm just not gonna grill if I can't take my time and use the Performer.

Gotcha, and I misunderstood you're OP.. I thought you meant that you opened up the tank and used the push-button igniter to light the Weber cubes.:)

Tim

I use the cubes all time. This is also my biggest problem with cubes. My screen porch is stained from all those bits of paraffin. I have learned to open them over the grill/chimney, move them under the chimney then light. That way all those little chunks are going to be burned up the grill. As long as I don't have too many pre-grillin' beers its a lot less messy.

-rog

Good tip and I'll remember that!

Tim

Take the paper for the coupons (it pays for itself) but have to admit these cubes are more convenient and zero ash mess like the newspaper is.

Started using them 2 years ago and haven't stopped. Easier than newspaper and no ash flying around and especially useful when tailgating.

I used them until I discovered it was much easier and faster to use the side burner on the genesis...................d
Let me ask a newbie question- when you folks use the side burner to light the chimney, do you still use the rolled up paper, or skip it?

I like them. I used newspaper for so long, even before my weber. I always felt it was messy and a fire hazard in the woods, which are right in my backyard. I'll never go back to newspaper. I too stock up in the early fall in both charcoal and cubes. I use the cubes on the grills and I use a hand held propane on the WSM. We have a gasser and use it sometimes when we need to be quick but still want the outdoor feel. I never thought of using the side burner on the gasser, great idea and thanks for sharing. This will work great in a pinch.

Love the cubes. 1 is enough, but 2 if I'm in a hurry. And then my wife bought me a really cool gadget which is even faster:

8586971311_84e012e832.jpg
[/url] Looftlighter by alaskahacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

This baby will have your coals (briqs or lump) lit in under 2 minutes.

8588071586_76a9d494e5.jpg
[/url] Business End - Red Hot by alaskahacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Business End of the stick

Not saying this replaces the cubes. Sometimes, especially in the winter when I don't want to stand in the cold, I'll still use the cubes.

RC,

It's the only way to go for me. I have two bricks covered in foil on the ground, I set a cube on the bricks, a full chimney over the cube, and voila!, ready in 15-20 minutes. By the way, I have a standard brick broken so it's only 2/3 tall. When I smoke and need just a handful of coals I stand the semi-brick on top of the foiled bricks, put the cube on the semi-brick, flip the chimney over, put in the coals, and voila!, smoking coals in 15 minutes. Clearly I'm a big fan of the cubes.

RC,

It's the only way to go for me. I have two bricks covered in foil on the ground, I set a cube on the bricks, a full chimney over the cube, and voila!, ready in 15-20 minutes. By the way, I have a standard brick broken so it's only 2/3 tall. When I smoke and need just a handful of coals I stand the semi-brick on top of the foiled bricks, put the cube on the semi-brick, flip the chimney over, put in the coals, and voila!, smoking coals in 15 minutes. Clearly I'm a big fan of the cubes.

Love the cubes. 1 is enough, but 2 if I'm in a hurry. And then my wife bought me a really cool gadget which is even faster:

8586971311_84e012e832.jpg
[/url] Looftlighter by alaskahacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

This baby will have your coals (briqs or lump) lit in under 2 minutes.

8588071586_76a9d494e5.jpg
[/url] Business End - Red Hot by alaskahacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Business End of the stick

Not saying this replaces the cubes. Sometimes, especially in the winter when I don't want to stand in the cold, I'll still use the cubes.

So do you have to be there when this thing is lighting the cubes? Does it just shove down into the chimney and you then pull it out after they are white and ashy? That would be handy since you don't have to worry about running out of cubes, and I have a waist high electrical outlet right by my Performer so that would be super easy without even having to bend over!

Back