The "Tin Can Minion Method" with Pepper Stout Beef

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I've been looking for some time at all of the glowing reports on Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef. With my Christmas present to myself (a 18.5" WSM) and a unseasonably warm day coming up, I decided to "get with it"...

Yesterday, it was 61 degrees and quite a change from the single digits we've been "enjoying" recently. I follow the weather reports daily and saw this one coming. My wife had a nice small chuck roast in the freezer. The roast looked good and was labeled "Angus Beef".

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1748_1024x768.jpg

I also decided to try the "Tin Can Minion Method" at the same time. My wife had saved a 12oz. coffee can (it was tin - make sure yours is tin as some are in plastic and some paper). I cut the bottom out of the can and that was the "tin can" part of the title. I also followed the suggestion on here to pick up a "Stainless Steel Silverware Caddy" from IKEA. This makes an indeal minature Weber Chimney and can be had for six or seven dollars.

In case you haven't seen information on these I offer this for your pleasure:

The tin can cylinder is centered on the charcoal grate of the WSM, then first one chimney full of unlit is evenly distributed around the can. In this case I then put another chimney full around and on top of the first, keeping the can centered:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1745_1024x768.jpg

Then I put the IKEA caddy on top of my OTG Grill and dropped one Weber lighting cube centered in the bottom of the caddy. I then carefully place 20 briquets on top of LIT cube. In just a few minutes it is ready to dump the coals INSIDE the tin can on the WSM:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1744_576x768.jpg

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1746_1024x768.jpg

Then, you lift the tin can from the WSM with water pump pliers. Be carefull as the tin can is apt to be HOT. Set the tin can cylinder someplace safe (just like you did the minature chimney).

Now, you have a full charcoal ring with a small amount of lit coals in the center. This greatly facilitates bringing the WSM up to temp without overshooting the mark. I immediately assembled the cooker and filled the water pan with hot tap water (carefully).

When the temp hit 200 degrees I closed the bottom rear vent and stopped the front ones down about half (use your own judgement here). The idea is to move to the target temperature (in this case it was 225-250 degrees). When the WSM was up to temp I placed the desired number of wood chunks on on the coals. I then put the room temperature meat on the top food grate. Here it is (with Maverick probes installed) after a couple of hours of heat:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1752_1024x768.jpg

While the roast was smoking, was a good time to chop the vegetables and place in the pan with a bottle of Guinness Stout and seasonings standing by:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1750_1024x768.jpg

After the roast hit 165 degrees internal, I moved to the throw-away roasting pan and placed on top of the veggies and stout mixture and put in the oven for several more hours (foiled tightly) until tender enough to pull. The cook was finished by roasting covered until pulling, then the mixture was allowed to cook until the liquid was reduced to a "proper" amount.

Here is when ready to pull:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1753_1024x768.jpg

The mixed roast was kept overnight in the refrigerator and will provide sandwiches for several meals for the two of us (we'll freeze in portions size to keep).

Here is the reward:

PepperStoutBeef2-7-2013Selects-1756_1024x768.jpg

Thank you for watching...

Dale53

Last edited:
Ohh my that looks good! I use the IKEA item to dry my dishes...Well i used to. Perfect mate!

Yep, Great Lookin' Pepper Stout Beef Robert!
Is That Some Sort Of Gaaaaaalic Bread You Got There Or Some Cheese Bread?
Looks SPECTACULAR!!!

Jim Lampe;
That bread is cut from a Baguette of French bread. It was VERY good with the PSB. The crunch of the crust goes well with a somewhat wet content. A typical soft bun would have fallen apart - need something sturdy;).

Thanks for the kind words, good people. I was extremely pleased how well the "Tin Can Minion Method" worked. Some things sound good but prove to be problematical - not so with this set up.:wsm:

Dale53

Very nice Robert! Like the French bread sammich.

Been eating leftovers of that every night this week after the Super Bowl and it hasn't gotten old yet.

That's some good lookin PSB...one of my favorites as well!! Great post and pics...love to see them charcoal setups as well.

Back