Weber Apocalypse

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
After years of fun, I noticed when I cleaned out my Weber 22.5 that I have developed three pencil-eraser sized holes in the bottom. Doesn't look rusty so I am doubting it was a water issue, just age. Hell, I know a lot of guys whose bottoms don't work as well after a certain age.

Anyway, I am having trouble finding a replacement part online. Even Weber doesn't seem to carry big structural parts like this. Any suggestions for a place to buy a new one? Or do I just start watching Craigslist for a used one?

(My first reaction was to order a brand new smoker. Wife "would prefer that I didn't")

Have you called weber customer support?

They may have a way to order a replacement bottom

After looking at all options, I resolved to buy the replacement parts needed (bottom, heat shield, various nuts and bolts to reattach the legs once I cut the old ones away.) Then Wyfe kicked in and said "if this is going to cost you $200 anyway, just buy a new one! And call the difference your birthday present." Yep, I married a good'n.

So everywhere on earth is selling the new 22.5 WSM for $499.00, some with free shipping, some with free assembly, whatever. But always $499.00..... except this one storefront I found in the Washington DC area. They posted an ad for new 22.5 WSMs for $350, cash and carry. Still sealed in the box, with warranty, etc. So yeah, I grabbed one up. Even with gas for the 180 mile round trip, this was a good deal.

Assembled it today, all good to go. It even has a probe access port that was not on my 12 year old model. Can't wait to break it in!

I have a double KCBS event Saturday and Sunday so I will be jonesing to break this in for another week.......

After looking at all options, I resolved to buy the replacement parts needed (bottom, heat shield, various nuts and bolts to reattach the legs once I cut the old ones away.) Then Wyfe kicked in and said "if this is going to cost you $200 anyway, just buy a new one! And call the difference your birthday present." Yep, I married a good'n.

So everywhere on earth is selling the new 22.5 WSM for $499.00, some with free shipping, some with free assembly, whatever. But always $499.00..... except this one storefront I found in the Washington DC area. They posted an ad for new 22.5 WSMs for $350, cash and carry. Still sealed in the box, with warranty, etc. So yeah, I grabbed one up. Even with gas for the 180 mile round trip, this was a good deal.

Assembled it today, all good to go. It even has a probe access port that was not on my 12 year old model. Can't wait to break it in!

I have a double KCBS event Saturday and Sunday so I will be jonesing to break this in for another week.......
Congratulations. I sent you a message about your old one. I have seen many ads on Craigslist for brand new Webers from that dealer in Springfield. I wonder what the story is. He has great cash prices and top end new Webers at nice prices.

After years of fun, I noticed when I cleaned out my Weber 22.5 that I have developed three pencil-eraser sized holes in the bottom. Doesn't look rusty so I am doubting it was a water issue, just age. Hell, I know a lot of guys whose bottoms don't work as well after a certain age.

Anyway, I am having trouble finding a replacement part online. Even Weber doesn't seem to carry big structural parts like this. Any suggestions for a place to buy a new one? Or do I just start watching Craigslist for a used one?

(My first reaction was to order a brand new smoker. Wife "would prefer that I didn't")
Order a new one

Back