Weber 9890 rotisserie weight

Mark-Brooklyn

Picked it up new on Ebay. The threads on the handle are too short to put the lockring back on with the counter weight??? Do I cut down the wood a bit or is there a better way.

You should be able to run the threads through the “loop” on the weight.
It would help if you can post a picture. The first time I used mine, it didn’t make any sense to me either. You are NOT alone.

That is mounted different than most handle/weights so actual pics would be really helpful for us to advise you Mark. If the rod goes right through the handle carving some off the handle might do it. If the threaded piece holding the weight is just pressed into the handle it could be defective and just pressed in too far.

857BCB67-1250-4F86-B4EC-12AC7721D79E.jpeg

Thanks Richard, I got sidetracked and didn’t take a picture!
Sometimes things go a little sideways on eBay. But, send a picture so we all know what the specific issue is. Something does not sound right.

Image above threads are too short to catch with the threaded cap. It looks like it is one rod that goes all the way through

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it’s one full-length rod but, you could probably carefully cut the handle down enough to be able to catch threads, something doesn’t seem right about that handle though. Trimming shouldn't be too hard, saw down maybe 1/4 inch and chisel the end material off.

This reminds of when I worked for a carnival ride company. State inspectors would count the threads showing on various parts after a ride was installed. I believe the wanted to see two full threads.

If the rod goes all the way through (and I believe it does), it may be possible to turn the entire wooden handle on those threads until more are showing.

Another idea is to clamp it up in a vice, get a socket from a socket set, place the socket over the threaded end, and start tapping the handle down further with a hammer.

It may also be possible to combine these techniques. Put some turned force on the wooden part while tapping on it with your other hand.

First investigate if the handle is threaded onto the rod or pressed straight on if you can. If threaded, just turn it on farther to expose more threads. If pressed on and you are convinced the rod goes all the way through, just put a flat washer on and then a regular nut and clamp the rod in a vice or hold it with a wrench. As you tighten the nut it should press the handle farther onto the rod. If that threaded piece is just short and pressed in the end of the handle and not all the way through, the same process will work to pull it out to expose more threads. You would just hold the handle instead of the rod as you tighten it.

This is my roto. It is a Weber 9890. Yours should be identical. The wood handle should be about 4.75" long and the rod from where the threads begin should be slightly less. But there should be plenty of threads sticking out the end of the handle to grab the threads with the counter balance in place... As shown in photos below.

20220917_012921.jpg20220917_082734.jpg20220917_082738.jpg20220917_082748.jpg

20220917_083127.jpg

20220917_012921.jpg

Last edited:
Once again, when there is a baffling question Bruce seems to have seen it before and found the proper solution!
thank you sir!

Bruce, your advice was correct!
Turns out the handle was out of spec.
It was 4 7/8" vs. the square part of the shaft being just under 4 3/4"
I trimmed the handle and now I can fit the counterweight as designed.
Thank you.

Back