Waygu Burgers

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone tried Waygu burgers? I’ve never had Waygu beef and figured cooking up some burgers would be a good place to start. Wondering if they actually taste any different than a regular burger (thinking they’d have too much fat) and wondering if you would cook them any different. Also, where did you get yours. Looking a SRF for a first try. That way I can combine it with an order of some Kurobuta pork.

Last edited:
Waygu burgers are not worth the $ unless you’re grinding the beef yourself from trim. Definitely stay away from the SRF Kobe beef hot dogs-they are not good. Their choice beef is Double R Ranch and their hot dogs are great.

Reminds me of the Omaha Steak ad I recently saw for a pack of filet mignon, sirloin, ribeye and strip steak burgers. Even with the deal it came out to over $16/pound for burgers. Give me a real steak.

I had a Waygu burger at a nice pub. It was good, not really blow you away, but ok.
you might want to check out a local place and try one.
I get these fresh ground prime rib burgers from Sam's club and those are just as good if not better IMO.

I've tried them. Paid dearly for them. As a burger...............honestly no better than good old ground chuck
The ground beef didn't look too outrageous. Grass fed organic ground beef at my local Kroger is $8.50 a pound. SRF waygu ground beef is $14. More, but seems within reason. However, given the feedback, I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks all.

Last edited:
We are fans of a lot of the SRF stuff. Their larger cuts, like briskets and pork shoulders are amazing. We typically get our ground beef from a farmer near by - they was out at some point, and we ordered 10 lbs of the SRF ground beef - I was underwhelmed - it was hard to work with, I'd almost describe it as too wet or something. It's super fatty, which one might expect, but all that fat doesn't translate well to burgers. I also agree with @Mark Silver - their Kobe beef hot dogs are not my style at all. I will try the Double R ranch ones....

We are fans of a lot of the SRF stuff. Their larger cuts, like briskets and pork shoulders are amazing. We typically get our ground beef from a farmer near by - they was out at some point, and we ordered 10 lbs of the SRF ground beef - I was underwhelmed - it was hard to work with, I'd almost describe it as too wet or something. It's super fatty, which one might expect, but all that fat doesn't translate well to burgers. I also agree with @Mark Silver - their Kobe beef hot dogs are not my style at all. I will try the Double R ranch ones....

Huh - I have been reading this thread and nodding my head to your and Mark's comments about the SRF hot dogs, thinking I agreed. Then I pulled a pack out of the freezer. This is the one you don't like?
20240601_065400.jpg

I buy the 12 pack of these so it has been a while but I could have sworn it's the DoubleR ranch I like. Looks like my memory failed me.

These are different, for sure. I first got them for a cookout a few years ago and the verdict was divided but i like that snap. New experience for me.

I really do like the DoubleR Ranch ribeyes and brisket.

I've had both the Double R and SRF Wagyu dogs. Wife and I prefer the SRF. As far as SRF other stuff. I've never seen their ground beef. We have a nice little shop here in town. They grind chuck fresh for us. It's very good. Occasionally they will put out a SRF tri-tip and such. Holy cow are those ever GOOOOOOD!
They eat like better tasting tenderloin. Absolute wonderful.
Other times they put out nicely trimmed brisket points (last brisket I made) which was also incredible. Other than a couple slices I saved for myself, that whole thing disappeared because my SIL swiped a huge chunk to take home for them, youngest daughter snagged a bunch for her lunches at work. She said when she brings my brisket to work all her colleagues go crazy wondering where she got that wonderful smelling BBQ :D
Anyway by the time the handouts stop there is very little left for old dad. But that's OK by me. I love making them all happy

Huh - I have been reading this thread and nodding my head to your and Mark's comments about the SRF hot dogs, thinking I agreed. Then I pulled a pack out of the freezer. This is the one you don't like?
View attachment 92316

I buy the 12 pack of these so it has been a while but I could have sworn it's the DoubleR ranch I like. Looks like my memory failed me.

These are different, for sure. I first got them for a cookout a few years ago and the verdict was divided but i like that snap. New experience for me.

I really do like the DoubleR Ranch ribeyes and brisket.
Those are the ones I personally do not like. They do snap but their taste is off-putting to me. I am a very big fan of Double R Ranch beef. Their rib eyes, T-bones and tri-tip goes on sale here frequently. As I always say, “If you don’t like the price, wait a week until it’s on sale again.”

Admittedly I haven't had them in a while, but my memory is that there was some spice they use that I didn't care for or didn't typically associate with weenies - Plus, I think they split fairly quickly after putting them on the grill? Maybe that has to do with the 'snap' (casing) ? That combination turned me off. I'm originally from Chicago, so I use Vienna's as the base line - I like trying new stuff, but think some of these companies might be over-thinking the humble dog!

Occasionally they will put out a SRF tri-tip and such. Holy cow are those ever GOOOOOOD!

Yes! the tri-tip's are really, really good too - had forgot to mention those. They actually were a pretty good deal a few years as well, but at least at our shop they've gone up a lot - like 10 bucks a lb more, so we don't get them as often.....

Those are the ones I personally do not like. They do snap but their taste is off-putting to me. I am a very big fan of Double R Ranch beef. Their rib eyes, T-bones and tri-tip goes on sale here frequently. As I always say, “If you don’t like the price, wait a week until it’s on sale again.”

No store around here, so I try to make large orders to make the shipping worthwhile. I've tried a few of the Wagyu steaks etc, but to my palate, the DoubleR is just as good or better.
Next order, I will have to add some DoubleR hot dogs.

Admittedly I haven't had them in a while, but my memory is that there was some spice they use that I didn't care for or didn't typically associate with weenies - Plus, I think they split fairly quickly after putting them on the grill? Maybe that has to do with the 'snap' (casing) ? That combination turned me off. I'm originally from Chicago, so I use Vienna's as the base line - I like trying new stuff, but think some of these companies might be over-thinking the humble dog!

My mother, for one, did not care for the Wagyu dogs - AT ALL. I assumed it was because of the casing, but maybe she picked up on the same seasonings that you did.
Good point about the humble hot dog! That's what I grew up on, so all these fancy dogs are kind of a new experience. Ball Park beef dogs are plenty good enough IMO. 😃

Back