Water pan Replacement

You won't like that after it cracks. Gets spendy after a while. Think metal.

Terracotta will crack if it's subjected to sharp heat fluctuations. Let it come up to temp & then let it cool naturally. No probs.

Caveat: Freezing temps can cause them to crack if exposed to water. Terracotta is pourous, & can absorb water, the water freezes, expands causing cracking.

:)

ps. It will shatter if you drop it though. :p

Sorry, I had a brain fart, you replace the water pan with charcoal pans. There is less room for charcoal but you can lift the body off to add more lit if you modify it with handles or through the door if you use a pair of chef's tongs.

The Terra Cotter Saucer, A brinkmann charcoal pan, or simply the empty water pan are the most common alternatives. Foil to avoid burning and expedite clean up.

I am starting to see some folks go UDS/PBC style and go completely diffuser-less and let the juices hit the coals for more flavor. I haven't tried this yet but it is intriguing...

Charlie:

It's really good to do the PBC method. It's the only way I'll cook my spare ribs. I got totally hooked using this method and the clean up is the real nice part, only need to wash the hooks.

i do not have one a water pan. my rig is a performer and a middle piece and lid from a WSM 22.

I see. Well, I think the 22 inch water pan is the best of the water pans that are currently sent with the units. I'd call up Weber and ask them to send you a new one. I think if you give them the number on the top vent, they should be able to send it to you free. Even if it wasn't free, I'd buy it as I think it is a better choice than using a heavy crackable terracotta saucer.

Back