Water pan replacement in 2022

I've never used a water pan in mine.
But recently I was browsing in a store and noticed a deep cast iron pot..... About 16 in in diameter.and 4-5" deep. . And I couldn't help but think but if I took an angle grinder and cut those handles off the sides of it.... Not only would it add Mass... But it would probably be a pretty good heat diffuser and it could still hold water if you wanted to put water in it

I bought the Winco bowl to replace the Brinkmann pan that has been the base for my Piedmont Pan for many years (but now has many rusted pinholes). It arrived today, and was too big to fit into the WSM. The diameter was a little over 16 inches and it would not have fit even if I cut notches in the rim. Maybe Winco has changed suppliers. The information on Amazon lists the diameter correctly, but I didn't check anything but the part number. So be aware that the bowl that worked in the past may not work today.

Getting the Winco bowls off of Amazon is hit or miss.

I've order three times being careful to specific the correct size.

Two that came were a different bigger size, one was correct.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but is this the Brinkman smoker that the pans would work in the 18.5 WSM? It's for sale near me.

brinkman 1.jpgbrinkman 2.jpg

I believe it is. The charcoal pan from the Smoke 'N Grill (or the water pan from the Brinkmann Gourmet) will work.

Polish_20230428_081644627.jpg

Those of you who are familiar with my travails will remember that I bought a used WSM with a FireDial but no water pan. Well after the first cook went high and dry it was advised that I consider getting a water pan so I checked out the relevant VWB article.

Unfortunately many of the alternatives mentioned in that article are no longer available for purchase. It looks like I could get a replacement water pan from Weber or the Winco mixing bowl.

Thoughts? Keep in mind I am a newbie who wants to get one successful smoke under his belt. Thinking of doing a pork butt next due to it being harder to screw up.
I have used the water pan but did not like how the meat came out but as far as water just go get some disposable aluminum pans and set it on the lower grade or smaller pans and set them on the side weber water pans are expensive if you have the 22.5 and really real bbq Don't taste like bbq done with the water pan my wife planted flowers in mine. Charlie

Back