Water Pan Obstructs Charcoal Tending

Kent

TVWBB Member
I have the new WSM with the larger water pan.
The water pan's vertical height is almost eight inches. When it's in place over the charcoal it dips down and you can't see and tend the charcoal on the back side. It would have been so easy for them to creat a water pan with a flat bottom, as on the 22.5 WSM. I'm surprised that Weber service says I'm the first to complain about this. Have any dealt with this with the new model? It's kind of a bummer to have to go and buy a Brinkmann water pan with a brand new grill.

This is a known issue with the new water pan.

The 18.5" water pan is actually the bowl from the Smokey Joe grill, and the 22.5" water pan is actually the lid from an 18.5" kettle grill. The WSM lids, bowls, and water pans have always been recycled parts from other Weber grills.

I wish they would have stamped a unique bowl similar to the Brinkmann charcoal pan that many use in the WSM.

Regards,
Chris

In spite of its smaller water capacity, wouldn't then the older smaller water pan be preferable? I've tried to find the proper Brinkmann pan that would fit without success. Where does one go for that? It's of interest that Weber Customer Service claimed they had never heard of this problem. I think it's a pretty significant problem. Possibly a potential safety problem.
Chris, thanks for your reply.

Can you order a replacement bowl for an older 18.5 WSM?

I'd be interested in this as well, since I don't use water in the bowl.

On the Weber.com site I can't find anything about the WSM except a photo. You can't download the manual[you can on this site]. There are no replacement parts or accessories listed.

You have to call Weber Customer Service at 800-446-1071 to order replacement WSM parts. I am not sure if they are still selling pre-2009 WSM water pans.

You can find info on ordering the Brinkmann charcoal pan as a replacement WSM water pan here:

Part number 114-0002-0, can be ordered from Brinkmann at 800-468-5252 or from www.brinkmann.net

Regards,
Chris

Can the brinkman pan be foiled using one piece of foil?

My 2009 WSM pan requires two pieces of foil to cover the bowl. I use one piece of 37" foil seamed to one piece of 24" foil. The seam leaked yesterday and made for a very frustrating cook as water boiled out from between the foil and bowl.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
This is a known issue with the new water pan.

The 18.5" water pan is actually the bowl from the Smokey Joe grill, and the 22.5" water pan is actually the lid from an 18.5" kettle grill. The WSM lids, bowls, and water pans have always been recycled parts from other Weber grills.

I wish they would have stamped a unique bowl similar to the Brinkmann charcoal pan that many use in the WSM.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, isn't there some fashion you and this group could formally complain about this? Weber Customer Support won't even admit there is a problem. They could at least give those complainng the previous model's water pan. I'm assuming that wasn't a problem with the old mode even though the water capacity was substandard. Do you know the vertical height of the previous model water pan? I can't find the Brinkmann anywhere locally. I'd sure like to see that before makig the decision to buy it. Brinkmann products can be a bit flimsy.

Sorry for all the rhetoric. Thanks for your advice.

Back