Water Pan Dropping

RonW.

TVWBB Member
Anybody else have their 22.5" water pan fall. On the last two cooks the pan fell of the brackets. The first time the pan was situated and I am pouring water to fill it, at 2/3rds full wham, it falls into the charcoal. On another occasion I was using lava rocks in lieu of water and checking on fuel later in the night the pan was in the coals again. Now I'm trying to reduce the minimal space in-between the brackets.

What have y'all done with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

"RonW....
"UnYáwn"

I'm not all that impressed with the grill straps fitting the water pan and I have switched to the Brinkman pan which oddly enough fits better than the 2008 and earlier models and in my opinion better than the 2009 and later models! I have been experimenting with a clay saucer as well. In some cooks I think it's better. If you want to remove your grill straps it's easy to bend them out further or add an extension to them. You just need a vice or a friend with a welder.
icon_smile.gif

Yes I agree, I had two of the older 18.5" WSM's before getting the newer 22.5" WSM. I'm trying to and a spacer to reduce the little play between the pan and strap seats which is just enough to let the pan fall.

RW.

Ron, I got stainless steel washers, three for each bolt in the straps, and added them between the strap and the center body. My grates fit better and my water pan stays where it's put. I don't know if two or three would work on the 22.5. It's a messy job but worth the trouble.

I can't comment on the 22 but when I got the 18, placing a washer between the wall and strap at each screw, was one of my first mods. So far so good........

I just purchased a 18.5" WSM last weekend. Not sure if this is new, but they now give you a washer to put between the straps and the smoker body. It's been so long since I assembled my last WSM, that I don't recall if that was there previously.

Thanks for the washer tip, that sounds like it will work. Did y'all put washers on the top and bottom bolts at each strap?

You guys may all be mechanical geniuses, but that pan should NOT fall. Not if Weber is making it right and shipping it right. I'd complain like hell.

I did call Weber and they don't understand why and they did send me new brackets, but they are the same.

Back