Wanted: Rudy's BBQ sausage recipe

RedT

I discovered Rudy's "Country Store" during one of our RV trips through Texas, and have since eaten at several locations throughout the southwest. I particularly like their sausage, and try as I might, have not been able to duplicate it at home. Am wondering, does anyone have a "clone" recipe they would share?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too love Rudy's, they have solid bbq. Certainly not the best central texas bbq, but for an outsider it is damn good. As far as a recipe, I don't have one. But I can tell you that it's not too different than any central texas style sausage. If you can find a clone recipe for Southside Market, Salt Lick, Mueller's, Blacks, Smitty's, Lulling City Market, etc etc you'll find what you are looking for. A well made keilbasa (even though it is polish and not german/czech) is a good substitute and generally available in most areas. You can of course order fresh sausage direct from some of the places I listed. I see what I can dig up for a recipe though.

Last edited:
I also like Rudy's sausage. I believe 85%/15% beef/pork ratio with salt, black pepper, cayenne, and some bull flour as a binder.

However, it is a lot like Kielbasa IMO. ...but Texas-German sausages are simpler than Kielbasa: there’s nothing in there like milk, herbs (marjoram, sage, etc), onion, or garlic like you find in Kielbasa. Texas-Czech sausages (Kielbasa) all contain garlic in one form or another.

Like in European towns, each wurstmeister has his own recipe that was brought to Central Texas with them. I have several sources that all have different formulations but this is my take on Central Texas Sausage:

3 pounds beef rump roast or beef trimmings
2 pounds fatty Boston butt pork roast
2 TBS Salt
2.5 cloves garlic, minced (I use the jar stuff so .5 clove is in the cards for me)
1.5 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Medium hog casings

Last edited:
I also like Rudy's sausage. I believe 85%/15% beef/pork ratio with salt, black pepper, cayenne, and some bull flour as a binder.

However, it is a lot like Kielbasa IMO. ...but Texas-German sausages are simpler than Kielbasa:

Thanks to everyone for the recipes and other info. I'm going to try the recipe by Dwain, will let you know how it turns out. :wsm:

Thanks to everyone for the recipes and other info. I'm going to try the recipe by Dwain, will let you know how it turns out. :wsm:

I don't think you can go wrong with Dwain's or the link the Len provided. During my search I couldn't find a decent recipe to start with, they all have too many ingredients I like the others have said, it's a very simple sausage. Certainly be sure to report back on the recipe!

I don't think you can go wrong with Dwain's or the link the Len provided. During my search I couldn't find a decent recipe to start with, they all have too many ingredients I like the others have said, it's a very simple sausage. Certainly be sure to report back on the recipe!

I will....once SWMBO gives me the green light. :rolleyes: At the moment, my freezer is full of smoked meat - to include a recent batch of pulled pork.
Though I gave up cigarettes in 1986, I guess I'm hooked on smoking! :)

My new stuffer arrived in the mail today. Hoping to give this a try real soon, I really miss my centex sausage!

Back