Wagyu Brisket on Performer

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
Ok. I recently did a high-heat USDA Prime brisket. It was roughly 9 lbs. I cooked it via the HH method as explained in a post by Andy Erickson. It was fabulous. Well, I'm stepping things up a notch for the 4th of July weeekend. I'm going to be cooking a similarly sized American Wagyu brisket. My question is, with the insane marbling such a cut possesses, does anyone think I should cook this HH, or LNS? I don't have a ton of experience cooking LNS on my Performer, although I have done it with Boston butts (for pulled pork) and a brisket flat (which sucked). All turned out wonderfully except the one. I just want to make sure I don't put a really expensive piece of beef at risk. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hayden, I've never smoked a prime piece of meat in my life. Having said that, I know that I like spare ribs smoked at a lower temp than loinback ribs, which are significantly leaner. That's pork, though. I bet Myron Mixon smokes the best brisket he can find, and I hear that he gets it done in about the same time that I smoke my spares in, so go for it. You're cooking on a kettle anyway, so why not?
icon_smile.gif

not saying its impossible, but i would find it difficult to do a lo/slo brisket on a Performer. Different story with a smoker (WSM, drum, etc) since they are designed for fine temp control and holding a large supply of fuel.

If you have done a HH brisket, why not do that again? I don't think you could go wrong if you've already done it well once.

My $0.02. Not an expert by any means.

Thank you for the responses, gentlemen. I do believe I'm going to go with the HH method again.

In re: to Ashish's response... You'd be surprised what you can do with a Performer. I've low 'n slowed many boston butts on my performer. Using the minion method, a couple of fire bricks, and some close monitoring. It's not only doable, but the results are repeatable.

I remember when I did my first pork butt lns. I started at 10PM, and it finished around 7 AM. I never had to reload the charcoal. I had friends come over around noon to help me consume said pork butt, and one of them asked what I was cooking. When I said "nothing", he asked why then my grill was at 300 degrees. LOL The coals were STILL going, and didn't go completely cold until early evening.

I've never had a smoker, mostly because I don't know how much I'd use it. However, so far, my results on the kettle have been very good. Perhaps at some point I'll get a bullet...but I don't do it often enough, or do that much when I do...to warrant one at this point.

Back