Vortex With Aluminum Foil

Started around 12 Noon today Costa Rica Time and Maintained around 400F at the Grill Grate Level for around 1 1/4 hours; pulled the Chicken Wings at around 175F and except for no crispy skin the wife stated it-came-out-great. Also added two(2) ears of corn at the same time as the Chicken Wings and that too came-out-great. Oh, last night we put the chicken wings in a Brine bath which produced a moist succulent outcome.

I found-out today that the Small Vortex only has a capacity of holding a little more than 1/2 Regular Weber Chimney full of charcoal which gave me a maximum sustained temperature of 400F pulling-off my chicken wings which were fully-cooked in about 1 1/4 hours.

Also, I did place Aluminum Foil completely around the Vortex and it worked very well.

I know, No pictures, as I still need to post my first when I figure-out how to do it???

Richard, if you want crispy skin put them over the vortex for a few seconds as you are removing them. It is extremely HOT so five seconds or so a side is enough or you will have charcoal. And only put three on at a time or by the time you get them all turned and off the first ones are burned. You have to be fast but give it a try. And long tongs helps you not get burned.

Presumably you will have to light your chimney elsewhere if you've foiled around your vortex?

Presumably you will have to light your chimney elsewhere if you've foiled around your vortex?
I put the chimney right inside the vortex that way the leftover coals (that I put in the bottom) will also light. If the chimney is not quite full it fills the Vortex fully!

Back