Vortex With Aluminum Foil

Started around 12 Noon today Costa Rica Time and Maintained around 400F at the Grill Grate Level for around 1 1/4 hours; pulled the Chicken Wings at around 175F and except for no crispy skin the wife stated it-came-out-great. Also added two(2) ears of corn at the same time as the Chicken Wings and that too came-out-great. Oh, last night we put the chicken wings in a Brine bath which produced a moist succulent outcome.

I found-out today that the Small Vortex only has a capacity of holding a little more than 1/2 Regular Weber Chimney full of charcoal which gave me a maximum sustained temperature of 400F pulling-off my chicken wings which were fully-cooked in about 1 1/4 hours.

Also, I did place Aluminum Foil completely around the Vortex and it worked very well.

I know, No pictures, as I still need to post my first when I figure-out how to do it???

Richard, if you want crispy skin put them over the vortex for a few seconds as you are removing them. It is extremely HOT so five seconds or so a side is enough or you will have charcoal. And only put three on at a time or by the time you get them all turned and off the first ones are burned. You have to be fast but give it a try. And long tongs helps you not get burned.

Presumably you will have to light your chimney elsewhere if you've foiled around your vortex?
I put the chimney right inside the vortex that way the leftover coals (that I put in the bottom) will also light. If the chimney is not quite full it fills the Vortex fully!

Back