Vortex Shrimp Stuffed Bell Pepper and Crawfish Corn Maque Choux (Pic Heavy)

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
Decided to stretch my grilling skills and use the vortex for something other than chicken wings (for which it is awesome). Given the intense heat from the center, I knew I could do some sauteing on it as well. I saw the bell peppers on the Vortex website and thought I would give them a try with a little Louisiana twist.

Had to do some shopping this morning

$3.50/lb at a local seafood market. Has about 10-15 vendors on any given day; so prices are always cheap for high quality seafood. I like to cook with about a 20 count shrimp. Nice balance between not having to peel a bunch and not having to cut them up. They had some Jumbos (5-7) for $6.00/lb.

Had some nice ones in there too

Prep took about an hour of shucking and chopping, but right about the time I was ready to light the coals it looked like we we're going to have a typical afternoon shower. Waited about an hour (no rain) until the dark clouds went away and lit a full chimney of KBB. Once ashed over, I put on the trinity (onions,celery, bellpepper) over some EVOO and butter.

Let that sweat down some, and then added the shrimp and garlic.

Oh, forgot about my little chef treat before starting the stuffing!

Let the shrimp cook for a few minutes then added some tomato sauce and some cream of mushroom soup. I then folded in some cooked Jazzmen rice (only thing I cooked inside) until I got to the consistency I was looking for. Still wet, but thick

I then took the stuffing mixture inside to cool before stuffing the peppers.

Sookie was not pleased that I interrupted her sun bath.

Last edited:
Restarted the veggies, but no celery this time (using the CI DO instead of the skillet)

Let those sweat down a little and the added the corn

Let that cook for a bit then added fresh Roma tomatoes (deseeded) and the crawfish

After a few minutes, I transfered it to the gasser to simmer on Low

Added a few more briquettes to the vortex and was ready to start on the stuffed peppers. (added a little fresh grated Pecorino Romano)

15-20 minutes in

Pulled and plated after about 30 minutes

It was very good and one that I would definitely repeat. I thought about parboiling the peppers before stuffing, but decided against it and I'm glad I did because the peppers were plenty tender.

Gulf shrimp is the best!! All of that food looks so tasty!!! Wish I was there he help you eat of all of that good eats!!!!!!

Awesome cook there - I'd sure like to have a seafood supply like that................... I'd be like bubba on Forrest Gump on here every day!

edit: I forgot to say - that's a good looking pup!

Last edited:
That is some awesome cooks. Love those stuffed bell peppers, everything was spot on
Hope Sookie got to finish the sun bath.

Last edited:
Awesome cook sir! I knew I must be dealing with a fellow Louisianian when I read maque choux. The awesome gulf shrimp for the stuffed peppers removed any doubt. That's what I call rocking the grill creole style!

Regards,

John

Back