Virginia > Ashland: Jake's Place Restaurant & Market

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
Jake's Place Restaurant & Market
511 Thompson Street
Ashland, VA 23005

This joint is in a very old building west of town. Good service, family atmosphere. Average restaurant Q. We tried chicken, brisket, pork, and ribs. Ribs were good, the other three meats were overcooked. Sides were all good but mostly small side portions.

Probably worth a second visit, but if no difference next time, not worth a third.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake's Place Restaurant & Market
511 Thompson Street
Ashland, VA 23005

This joint is in a very old building west of town. Good service, family atmosphere. Average restaurant Q. We tried chicken, brisket, pork, and ribs. Ribs were good, the other three meats were overcooked. Sides were all good but mostly small side portions.

Probably worth a second visit, but if no difference next time, not worth a third.
Thanks for the review. We moved from Richmond to King George about 6 months ago. If you take a trip over the Potomac on 301 there is a BBQ place called Dickies that is quite good. We have been there twice and will be going again. Were are you located?

Thanks for the review. We moved from Richmond to King George about 6 months ago. If you take a trip over the Potomac on 301 there is a BBQ place called Dickies that is quite good. We have been there twice and will be going again. Were are you located?

I am in the Glen Allen area. About 10 miles from Ashland and 10 miles from Richmond.

If you take a trip over the Potomac on 301 there is a BBQ place called Dickies that is quite good. We have been there twice and will be going again.
I'm glad you like Dickeys, sounds like you've got a good franchisee who's doing things right. In my experience at several West Coast locations (visited numerous times) it's OK chain barbecue. At their peak, they had over 500 locations.

I'm glad you like Dickeys, sounds like you've got a good franchisee who's doing things right. In my experience at several West Coast locations (visited numerous times) it's OK chain barbecue. At their peak, they had over 500 locations.
I did not know it was a franchise. I would rate this one on the quite good side. While I prefer my own brisket and pulled pork, I think theirs is quite good for the price (and effort;-)). There were only 2 places in recent memory where the BBQ was way better than mine. One was a place in North Carolina and the other Smokin D'Z in Milton Delaware. I probably need to get out more.

Back