Vintage Weber Summit - Looks Clean - Chicagoland Area

Strange that it doesn't have the 'H' crossover tubes..... Granted, I've only seen two Summits of that era, but they both had H's..... Makes me wonder if someone 'made them work'.....

Other than that, it looks like a solid specimen to me..... just not the 'free' that I look for.....

THey're in the back on that gen Summit where they make far more sense. That is a pretty nice looking example, but those darn fire boxes are a PIA. Parts are also nearly non-existent

Paul, I'm no expert on those Summit models. I think the biggest problem is the cook box but I would defer to someone who has more experience restoring one. The name that comes to mind is @Jon Tofte
Thanks Steve, I will endeavor to view the grill at least to see if it can be brought up to something like new. I need to understand what components may need replacing and if they are still available.

Hopefully Jon chimes in with some words of wisdom but the grapevine suggests he has been caught buying non Weber grills lately lol!

😂

Burners and XOver burner tubes will be an issue. IDK of any aftermarket ones, and I believe Weber quit making them. Flavo bars can be adapted from other models easily. IIRC the bars are the same size as the front to back bars on an old Deep Box Genesis grill. Or close enough to be adapted. Grates are all the same as the sidewinder Genesis models as well. Of course goes without saying no fire boxes or manifolds and such will be found new.

Burners and XOver burner tubes will be an issue. IDK of any aftermarket ones, and I believe Weber quit making them. Flavo bars can be adapted from other models easily. IIRC the bars are the same size as the front to back bars on an old Deep Box Genesis grill. Or close enough to be adapted. Grates are all the same as the sidewinder Genesis models as well. Of course goes without saying no fire boxes or manifolds and such will be found new.
I was hoping the burners below would fit, looking for the right model details to browse the schematic.

I was hoping the burners below would fit, looking for the right model details to browse the schematic.

Those are the ones you need. The originals are so good, you might be able to restore them.

GrillParts.com has them as well:

Thanks Steve, I will endeavor to view the grill at least to see if it can be brought up to something like new. I need to understand what components may need replacing and if they are still available.

Hopefully Jon chimes in with some words of wisdom but the grapevine suggests he has been caught buying non Weber grills lately lol!

😂
I absolutely LOVE my 1st generation WEBER;) Summit. Nothing else looks like it, and it is a joy to cook on. I will always be grateful to @LMichaels (Larry) for selling it to me.

Summit Name.jpeg

The firebox is obviously the big issue. If you look at that one and there is enough metal left to apply my stainless reinforcements, then you should be good to go for some time. If there are huge rust holes, it could be too late.

Applying Stainless panels.jpeg

Paul, let me know if you need the stainless reinforcements.

Attachments

• Pork chops on the Summit.JPG
    Pork chops on the Summit.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 5
The one oddity is what he shows about the smoker box. On that Summit, the original smoker box sits BELOW the grates, and the one grate has flip-up sections to allow access to it while you are cooking.

View attachment 90677
Yeah those grates were an option I did not get with mine :( I actually found out MUCH later about them. They are an "oddity". Cool thing is the smoke box actually works quite well and holds a lot of chips. So, the need to refill it is miniscule and it does not leave the firebox full of ashes

Back