Vintage Weber cookbooks

Bob Farace

TVWBB Member
Is there a comprehensive compilation somewhere of old Weber cookbooks (aside from the scans shared here)? What is the earliest Weber cookbook, as opposed to a pamphlet or 50-cent booklet? I have found one from 1972, but I’m guessing there must have been something earlier. I love the old illustrations, and if there were any included in these books, I love gawking over some of the ghastly recipes of the past (like some of those gelatin salads).

Hi Bob, WELCOME

Back in '09, I sent Weber an e-mail asking for list of Weber cookbooks. The oldest one at the time was "Elegant Fare from the Weber Kettle - 1977. (which I have). What is the title of the cookbook you have from 1972?

Hi Bob, WELCOME

Back in '09, I sent Weber an e-mail asking for list of Weber cookbooks. The oldest one at the time was "Elegant Fare from the Weber Kettle - 1977. (which I have). What is the title of the cookbook you have from 1972?

Hi Joan,

I don’t have it yet, but I found the 1972 cookbook by looking through eBay. There are a few other copies of it available over there. I’ve attached images of the cover and the title page, which has art that is very much of its time period (I remember car ads from that time having the same look).

Attachments

• B97381B4-5F60-44FA-A60A-83FD1232883E.jpeg
    B97381B4-5F60-44FA-A60A-83FD1232883E.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 11
  • FA150550-77DF-4E45-A3F3-FAF8EC15E0B1.jpeg
    FA150550-77DF-4E45-A3F3-FAF8EC15E0B1.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 11
Bob, do you have any more information about that book. Like who wrote it?

Joan, I don’t have the book in hand yet, but in the images I don’t see an author other than Tested Recipe Publishers, and the title page above has an editor listed. Here is an eBay link to another copy for sale:

Is there a comprehensive compilation somewhere of old Weber cookbooks (aside from the scans shared here)? What is the earliest Weber cookbook, as opposed to a pamphlet or 50-cent booklet? I have found one from 1972, but I’m guessing there must have been something earlier. I love the old illustrations, and if there were any included in these books, I love gawking over some of the ghastly recipes of the past (like some of those gelatin salads).
Bob, according to Weber's site (https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/whats-cookin/weber-30111.html), the first books were published in the 1970s and include:

Barbecuing the Weber Covered Way (Betty Hughes, listed as a co-editor in the book, is mentioned to have developed recipes for the book on Weber's site)

Elegant Fare from the Weber Kettle, by Jane Wood

Grill Out, tested by Better Homes and Gardens

Grill by the Book, a 4-book series for both charcoal and gas models by Betty Hughes and Jerry Anne DiVecchio

Later, there were the following books (not covered on Weber's site):

Weber & Sunset Grill by the Book Chicken and Other Poultry (64 pages, 1996)

Weber & Sunset Grill by the Book Fish and Shellfish (64 pages, 1996)

Weber & Sunset Grill by the Book Steaks, Chops, and Burgers (64 pages, 1996)

Weber & Sunset Grill by the Book Weekday Meals (64 pages, 1996)

Weber & Sunset Grill by the Book Great American Grilling (240 pages, 1997)

The site mentions the Grill-Out Times Newsletter published from 1995-2005, then jumps to the Purviance line of cookbooks published from 2004 to present.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, @Jepprey P for that. So then basically, anything before 1972 was limited to pamphlets and booklets.
Bob, yup, pretty much.

I have the Barbecuing the Weber Covered Way cookbook and besides enjoying the vintage pics of grills and accessories, found that the chicken recipes (Chicken Pieces, Quarters or Halves a la Lasher; Roasted Chicken, Stuffed Chicken, Roasted Capon) all have three of the same basic ingredients: salt, pepper, and butter. (Which is very similar to my grandmother's "chicken BBQ sauce" recipe she used from the 50s-80s.)

Maybe that's a testament of better husbandry practices at the time and more flavorful, smaller chickens. (Or different palates of the time or both.) All she needed to do was add poultry seasoning, pepper, and an egg to make it Cornell Chicken or Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and garlic/onion/white pepper powder to make it Roadside Chicken.

On the gelatin salad front, I don't think you'll be disappointed as the book has both cranberry orange and pineapple (sour) cream salad recipes to satiate your retro ogling. ;)

I think I’m on a roll. I have the 1960 booklet and the 1972 and 1977 cookbooks coming to me. Up to now I only had the 2001 Grilled Pizza booklet from when I called customer service for another reason and asked for that at the same time. I’m surprised that it’s being sold on Amazon, used, for $8-15, when it was given out for free.

I think I’m on a roll. I have the 1960 booklet and the 1972 and 1977 cookbooks coming to me. Up to now I only had the 2001 Grilled Pizza booklet from when I called customer service for another reason and asked for that at the same time. I’m surprised that it’s being sold on Amazon, used, for $8-15, when it was given out for free.
Nice collection going there!

I have Great American Grilling (1997) on its way. I think the 4-book 1970s Grill by the Book series was republished by Weber & Sunset in 1996 (same authors, Betty Hughes and Jerry Anne DiVecchio) and then offered as a compendium in the form of Great American Grilling.

I want to get the Elegant Fare (1977) book and Grill Out by Better Homes and Gardens to complete the collection but haven't had much success finding the latter.

This Grill Out! Book? The title page mentions Better Homes & Gardens.

Well heck, your google-foo is much better than mine. Thank you!

It's not 1970s, but a 1990 reprint, I think? I bought the book, anyway.

It looks like Weber re-issued cookbooks over the 80s and most of the 90s instead of publishing new books, if my theory about the 4-book 197X/1996 series and your BHG/Weber book is correct.

Ebay auction including Weber Grill Out! as one of the four books offered:

Thanks, Chris. I bought the book in Bob's link, but I'm certain that I looked at it and then passed over the eBay posting you mentioned earlier, not realizing that the BH&G/Weber Grill Out! cookbook was included. You have your finger on the pulse!

Back