Vintage genesis Gold Side burner trivet RUSTED

KevinKay

Hi,
New here.
Weber Genesis Gold dump find about 2 years ago, cleaned up and restored at that time and constantly swapping out parts as i find them (grates, grease trays, knobs, etc). Only money spent was on new burner tubes.
Donors are getting less and less frequent and my side burner grate is chipped/rusted and bothers me. I think it is porcelain coated steel?? Weber has discontinued the part. Today I hit it with the wire wheel and sandpaper to prep it for High Temp spray paint. YES, I know that paint is not made for direct flame but what are my other choices??

The electronic gas gage is not original, found that on another weber and just could not resist an electronic that doesn't need batteries. Drilled a hole in the control panel BUT have an original untouched backup control panel in the basement. Haven't broken down to buy new warming racks yet. I use the side burner a lot for anything thats going to splatter - I can't hose off the kitchen cooktop.
You have all heard the phrase "Jack of all trades and master......".
I am the - JACKASS off all and master of none!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9082.jpg
    IMG_9082.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9078.jpg
    IMG_9078.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9079.jpg
    IMG_9079.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9080.jpg
    IMG_9080.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9081.jpg
    IMG_9081.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 44
Well, what is done is done now. It might need fairly regular repainting, but then, maybe it will be just fine. Just keep your eyes open for another Silver or Gold C to grab a fresh one off of. You will find one eventually, even if you have to pay $20 for the whole grill. Then you have a parts grill.

How does that gas gauge work. The definition of electronic is "uses electricity" Where does it get power to light up the LEDs?

That gas gauge thing is a weber part from some summits from what I found in research. I think it's just an unserviceable battery so you have to replace the whole unit when it's done. Cool mod I thought.

Any questions about batteries the web says to "replace the unit" so it very well may have an unserviceable battery but I thought the gage converted voltage through the movement of magnets along the tank scale??

Can't wait till I find a integrated "iGrill 3" receptacle to add on the front stainless skirt OR that might be the time to upgrade to a new "fixer upper" :)

SO anyone else ever try high heat enamel paint over the porcelain grate. Is that grate porcelain coated?

Attachments

• grill-parts-7204-4.jpg
    grill-parts-7204-4.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
Any questions about batteries the web says to "replace the unit" so it very well may have an unserviceable battery but I thought the gage converted voltage through the movement of magnets along the tank scale??

Can't wait till I find a integrated "iGrill 3" receptacle to add on the front stainless skirt OR that might be the time to upgrade to a new "fixer upper" :)

SO anyone else ever try high heat enamel paint over the porcelain grate. Is that grate porcelain coated?
Probably has a button battery in it. Weber decided to just make you buy a new $40 one rather then spend the extra 10 cents to add a door and gasket. Or maybe they knew that the Summits would rust out before the batteries died;-)

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, I have painted the side burner grate with hi heat paint without any issues. The part is hard to find since it is not bolted to the grill so you probably have to work with what you have.

I am not too concerned about paint out gassing on the side burner. I wouldn’t use paint inside the main cook box assembly.

Gassing off that side burner trivet should not be an issue unless you inhale the fumes directly. They should never really contact your food either since anything cooked on that will be in a pan or skillet of some source.

thanks Bpratt for sharing your paint experience.

HUM....season it? I know you can season "carbon steel" cookware and stainless steel but I am thinking this would be a lower quality steel being that it was coated.
Have you tried it?

OH and thanks LMichaels for the correct word choice - trivet. Going to change the thread title.

Last edited:
I guess I always assumed those were iron. If I am right, sanding and seasoning should work out fine. If it is a steel that doesn’t soak in seasoning but immediately rusts again I personally don’t see any big issue with painting with very high heat paint. First, because of what others mentioned about that you would be using a pot or pan, and second, because in time that paint will heat cure and not be likely to continue giving off fumes. I wouldn’t paint the inside of a firebox but I would do this. I am also willing to do SMALL touch-ups on the slide-out grease tray giving it a good long heat cure before using.

BPratt do you remember what high heat paint you used as I did my trivet on the Silver C I think I used the Rusto Ultra but can't remember. I don't use the burner much but it was toast the first time I used it. Just gave up if its rusted no matter not like your grilling on it but maybe you found a better solution.

OK, painted my trivet. Overpainted it, prob about 15 pretty heavy coats about 15-30 min apart drying in the sun. it looks GREAT and I am afraid to use it............But even if I have to re-paint it every year It would be OK and worth it. "ultra high heat" is gloss finish - very close to factory finish.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 11
BPratt do you remember what high heat paint you used as I did my trivet on the Silver C I think I used the Rusto Ultra but can't remember. I don't use the burner much but it was toast the first time I used it. Just gave up if its rusted no matter not like your grilling on it but maybe you found a better solution.
Hi I used hi heat ultra by rustoleum

If that paint fails prematurely, there is another option.
POR15 makes a paint that I used on cast iron exhaust manifolds for my car. They look as good as the day I painted them 5 or 6 years ago. It was called "Factory Manifold Grey". I think they may have other colors too.

Gerry

First fire up and very happy.
Looks and feels the same as before it was flamed.
If I were to do any thing different I would have liked to prepare it finer before paint - maybe sandblasted.
(blacked cajun spice swordfish)

I did let it dry/cure for 3 days before flame

***EDIT*** Next day cleanup - paint is toasted where it contacted flame

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg