Video cutting notches in WSM 14.5 and 22.5

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I have seen several threads about how to cut the notch in the WSM's and pictures of it but I decided I would do a video of actually doing it.

I used a Dewalt angle grinder with a 1/4 inch grinding wheel. I didn't use any tape and just eyeballed the depth of the cut, I made it so it just cut the shoulder of the rim. It is a very easy mod and took about 30 seconds for each cut.

Please check out the video

I wasn't worried about melting cables but when I feed the cables through the gromets and up through the top grate into the food, if I go to move the food or the grate I have to take out the probes and run the wire back below the grate and then reverse it when I put it back in. This way I quickly lift it out get the stuff on the bottom grate and put it back, quick

I'll be doing mine very soon. I can borrow an angle grinder from a buddy at work. This makes so much sense. No damage to the smoker. Neat job there , buddy.

I thought the grommet was a great idea but it has proved virtually unworkable for me.

I recently notched my 18 with my son's Dremel.
Used a thin cutting wheel, so it took a few cuts, but worked fine.

DSCF0865.JPG

I had posted the video on the Weber WSM fan site on Facebook, you should see the negative comments I got about this mod.

"I won't do anything that will let any smoke out" (as if the top vent doesn't let smoke out)

"this voids the warranty" ( it is a charcoal grill with no moving parts, who is worried about a warranty? about the only thing that can happen is rust and if you use it the grease will keep the rust away)

I tried to explain to them how it keeps you from having to snake wires up from below and if you have to remove the top grate to get at the bottom grate you don't have to unsnake (good word right?) and resnake (ditto) the wires. It just makes so much sense! It took 30 seconds to make the cut. The worry before hand was greater than the doing of it!

That fan site is the same one pushing the hinged lids, I would assume that would also void the warranty!

unsnake, resnake, let's throw in desnake, I Like 'em all!

Doing this to a brand new unit might have given me pause, but not my old bullet, should have done long ago.

unsnake, resnake, let's throw in desnake, I Like 'em all!

Doing this to a brand new unit might have given me pause, but not my old bullet, should have done long ago.

My 22.5 is 8 months old but the 14.5 I got for Christmas, but I assured it that it wouldn't hurt at all.

A co-worker had an angle grinder he was going to let me borrow to do the slot mod. Well, never having used one, I asked him to stay for a couple of minutes and he could take the grinder home - no need to borrow - as long as HE made the cuts! After all, he has experience using it. So now my 22.5" kettle and 18.5" WSM are slotted and I couldn't be happier with the results! Thanks to whoever was the first to post about this mod on TVWBB! :D

I had posted the video on the Weber WSM fan site on Facebook, you should see the negative comments I got about this mod.

"I won't do anything that will let any smoke out" (as if the top vent doesn't let smoke out)

"this voids the warranty" ( it is a charcoal grill with no moving parts, who is worried about a warranty? about the only thing that can happen is rust and if you use it the grease will keep the rust away)

I tried to explain to them how it keeps you from having to snake wires up from below and if you have to remove the top grate to get at the bottom grate you don't have to unsnake (good word right?) and resnake (ditto) the wires. It just makes so much sense! It took 30 seconds to make the cut. The worry before hand was greater than the doing of it!

That fan site is the same one pushing the hinged lids, I would assume that would also void the warranty!

Jeff I don't do FB anymore.:). anyhew this is the one and only WSM site that matters, and you did good!

Tim

Tim
Thank you very much for the kind words. The facebook group don't seem to be hardcore smokers...
it sucks when you have a great idea and you try to sell it and people get knee jerk negative on you. The first time I saw this mod was right after I installed my grommet and I immediately wished I'd done the slot instead. Having the wires trapped by the grommet is maddening when your trying to move stuff . And the idea that the slot is going to lose too much of your smoke is just laughable (along with the warranty thing). Anyway. Thanks for the reminder of what a great mod this is. Soon as things settle down a bit , I'm doin mine !

Frank,
I think if you consider it, having both a grommet and the slot is the best way! The slot works best for the top grate while the grommet works best for the lower grate. Think about it, the slot you can lift off the top grate along with the wires, while the bottom grate stays there, and the wires coming in below the top grate also stay in place.
I really think you should have both.

Frank,
I think if you consider it, having both a grommet and the slot is the best way! The slot works best for the top grate while the grommet works best for the lower grate. Think about it, the slot you can lift off the top grate along with the wires, while the bottom grate stays there, and the wires coming in below the top grate also stay in place.
I really think you should have both.
Hmmm . . . . I'd guess that's why some people have two grommets -- one for upper grate and one for lower grate. A bit more work, but workable.

I can't think why someone would want to install an extra grommet for the top grate. :unsure: I haven't seen, or heard of, anyone doing that mod.
There's ample room in the factory installed grommet to run 3 or 4 probes.
Where would the second grommet, for the upper grate, be installed?

If you're cooking on the lower grate, then yes, it's a no-brainer to run your probes through the grommet. (I personally don't cook on the lower grate).

However, imo The Notch is the Occam's Razor for running probes to the top grate.

Some people have asked, myself included, as to why Weber don't notch the upper middle section as an option?
With the door facing me, I personally would want the notch at the 3 o'clock position, (the door being at 6 o'clock).
The opposite side to the door is in close proximity to a wall, about 10", so access is basically on three sides.
IMG_0702.jpg

Some people may want the notch in a different position relative to the door.
I would think that would be too much grief for Weber to consider. Or would it?

Last edited:
Been meaning to notch my kettle for a while now after seeing Ry do it on one of his videos. Just need to get off my duff, dig out he Dremel and get it done.

Oliver.

I don’t think I have ever seen someone add a second grommet. Have you seen that?

Notch imo is completely superior to a grommet for the top grate. And so fast, easy and idiot proof.

Most notchers never use the grommet. But can be useful when cooking on the bottom grate. Or to get a quick read from the main smoker chamber using a digitalthermometer

Back